Deluxe Strat S-1 Pickup System

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by trower, Jul 4, 2006.

1. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

I Just Picked Up A Used Deluxe Sunburst. I Didn't Need Another Guitar But Those Noiseless Pickup's Picked My Interest, Thou They Sound A Little Mellow. The Medium Jumbo Frets And Neck Felt Natural In My Hand Almost Right Away. No S-1 Switching But I Haven't Heard That Model So I Don't Miss It, I Can Get The Pot/switching Set Up On Ebay But Is It Worth It?

2. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I have two Strats with the S-1 system, and I think it's great, but I wouldn't retrofit one on a guitar that didn't have it.

The S-1 is not for everyone. At many amp and guitar settings the series mode (stealth button in) does not sound good. To my ears it sounds best when playing clean at low to medium volume levels. At those settings (and any other where a Strat traditionally sounds thin) it adds thickness, but it can muddy up with the volume knob on 10 or with the bass boosted on the amp.

Ultimately, IMHO, I think it is better used during recording than playing live. If you like the current sound of your guitar I wouldn't change it; I've heard that it's a pain to work on.

stratzrus

3. gururyan

gururyan Member

I have a US Dlx Strat with the SCN/S-1. At first I used to engage the S-1 more often than not. Now that the novelty has worn off, I find myself only engaging it about 35% of the time...clearly still worth having it I'd say. I like how it opens so many more tonal options. It also prevents me from having to get up and go over to my amp as much, because I can get more bass and a decent boost available to me when engaged.

In the end, I am glad I have it and use it daily. Would I retrofit a guitar with it?...yes, but it wouldn't be at the top of the queue.

4. van_wylde

van_wylde Member

correct me if i am wrong hear but i believe the new samarium cobalt pickups that are in the new strat were designed with the s-1 switching in mind. therefore using the s-1 switching on a different set of pickups will give you a much different result. for better or worse whos knows.

I also happen to have an american deluxe strat with the s-1 switching and as time goes on im finding myself using it less and less. and much like strazrus when i do use the s-1 switching im finiding myslef witht he volume slightly lower as it tends to cloud the sound a little to much for my liking. but at the end of the day it can add another demension to your sond that you never had before.

5. Phil M

Phil M Member

I played one of those black ones with the gold pickguard. Sweet looking and playing Strat. I didn't care for the S1 switching though.

6. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

OK, The more I play these noiseless, the more I'm not liking them dirty. Hard to beat in the clean dept. thou...Maybe i'm missing the boat on these. I think I'm hearing a loss in bite and volume. I raised the P/U's just under the strings and I they got louder..but something is still missing besides the noise... Sting? Shimmer? I don't know, maybe I'm not a strat guy after all.........

7. Phil M

Phil M Member

Yes, I agree. They sound kind of dull and thuddy and lose the clarity and bite that I like about single coils.

8. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

Exactly. "Sparkle, shimmer, glass, quack", all of the things that make single coils so great. I removed the SCN pups, and put in Suhr V60LP's...that did the trick ;-) Of course Lollars, Fralins, etc. will give you great sound.

I am not sure if the S-1 system really is compatible with true singles, as the guitar tech told me he needed the 2 additional wires for it to work. I don't feel like I am missing out on a thing. I think I tried it a couple of times, and thought it was kind of neat, but that's about it...

9. musicmind

musicmind Member

Hi guys

I had a chance to play the American Deluxe HSS with the S1 button and would agree with your description of its sound. It has a smoother sound, without the pronounced twang of some strats.
    I have heard great things about the Eric Johnson strat but unfortunately my shop doesnt have them. It seems this is one of the best strats available.

I have looked at the Fender site and I have noted the physical differences, obviously the humbucker on the deluxe, different finish (nitro vs polyurethane), C profile neck vs V profile neck, different pickups etc.

How would you compare the sound and the "playability" of these two guitars in your opinions?

I play more with a clean tone, mostly jazz style, but would enjoy a good bluesy overdrive sound too of course, like Eric Johnson, Knopfler or David Gilmour (who wouldnt I suppose :D )

To my ears the Deluxe sounded really smooth, compared to a highway 1 strat and a mexican strat I played trough the same amp. I only tried the clean sounds.

Thanks for your input :)

10. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I've got a Deluxe Strat and for what I play (Jazz, completely clean, medium volume) the S-1 system engaged is killer... I'd consider perhaps trying other pickups in it to hear the various possibilities...It is a great guitar

11. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Quote from Trower:
    +1

I have both the Am Dlx 50th Anniv Strat which has the SCN's and an Am Dlx Strat QMT HSS which has the "Hot" SCNs. Fender provides no information on the Hot SCNs but there is a world of difference.

Like Trower, I'm just not in love with the sound of the SCNs when used in connection with medium to high gain, but the Hot SCNs absolutely wail when pushed. The SCNs recreate the Sultans of Swing tone faithfully, and I've even seen them described as sounding more "Stratly" than a regular strat, but they really don't want to do Vai/Satriani.

With that said, the SCNs are fine with a vintage Fender blackface combo on 5-7 or when paired with a Keeley TS9 with the gain relatively low. I just don't think they're happy with a lot of preamp or solid state distortion.

The Hot SCNs will shred for days though, and the cleans sound great and have a little more weight. Either one will do SRV but I'd use the SCNs for Jazz, Country or up to SRV levels of gain. From EJ to shred I'd go with the Hot SCNs. Since I bought the QMT, the 50th Anniv hasn't left the closet.

stratzrus

12. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

i put kinmans into an amdlx s-1 pickguard; kinman supplies a detailed wiring diagram and instructions. i lot it alot and it has all the functionality intact.