Deluxe/Super Reverb and tube break up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MikeNiteRail, Apr 12, 2008.

1. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

I read in an old post here that the Deluxe Reverb has a lot of preamp distortion. Is that true with the Super Reverb as well? Is that a blackface amp thing???

Thanks,

Mike

2. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

I wouldn't say that. Those amps stay pretty clean until they're cranked up pretty loud and then its the power tubes that are distorting.

3. 67super

67super Supporting Member

I have and use both of these amps. The SR is way louder but both have similar headroonm on the volume nobs but plenty of clean headroom is available.

4. GenoBluzGtr

GenoBluzGtr Supporting Member

One thing to remember is that by the time the power tubes start saturating, you have already maxed out what the preamp section will do, so you are essentially getting preamp saturation no matter what... it's just how the particular preamp section sounds when saturated that you are hearing in differences between different amps.

If you put max gain preamp tubes in all slots, it will sound different that if you strategically slip in a 12AY7 or 12AT7 or 5751. Using the right phase inverter makes a difference as well.

Once you get the power section to start to saturate, how well that dominates the overall tone can make a difference in which stage you are hearing, but remember that in order to make the power tubes saturate, you have to hit them with a bigger signal than usual, and the only way to do that is to max out the amplification of the preamp stages.

5. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

Can you venture a specific relationship? Like a Deluxe Reverb on 5 is the same as a Super Reverb on 2???

Does anybody playing clubs get to run their Super Reverb loud enough to get the power tubes moving???

Thanks for all the great info in the above posts.

6. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

The SR is a lot louder than the DR, but there's a big difference in tone and breakup of a 6L6 vs. a 6V6.

To my ears, the 6L6 has a clearer clean and smoother distortion than the 6V6. Also, the reverb sounds different. (This depends on the specific amp, tubes and bias).

The basic idea of the 6L6 pair amps (Pro/Super/Vibroverb) is to have enough clean headroom for a band situation. The 6V6 amps (PR/DR) often can't play that loud without breaking up, which is cool for some players, but not others.

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Probably close to 5 on either amp depending on pickups or any outboard boxes between the guitar and amp. This will vary from amp to amp of the same type depending a about 10 different variables including resistor values/drift, preamp tube gain, power tube bias, line voltage, power supply component differences, etc.

8. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

Thanks guys!

I have GAS for a Super Reverb, but I think it'll be way too loud. I use the DRRI for the overdrive it starts to get around 5 on the volume control. I think the SR would be too clean and too loud at those settings. I'd probably need an inbetween amp at the most (30w???)

I really like the idea of 4x10 or even 2x10. I can live with a 12" if I have too. ;)

I don't know anybody with a SR around here to even A/B them.

9. frmorales52

frmorales52 Member

Try a tweed Bandmaster clone. Three tens and thirty five watts.

Clark makes a nice one and Victoria makes them as well (though I've not heard the Vic).

Frank

10. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

well, I have a Super reverb here in minneapolis that I've personally tuned to my liking. If you'd like, we could meet up and you can compare. Just a thought.

As far as I know, blackface fenders actually have less preamp distortion then most other amps because of where Leo stuck the Tone controls. They are very early in the circuit (early = before most of the gain stages) and bleed off a lot of the signal early on in the amp. I think this is a big reason for their cleaner sounds even when cranked (vs. marshall or tweed counterparts).

But obviously theres still lots of preamp distortion, its just how amps work.