Deluxe Telecaster

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by daphil_1, May 1, 2008.

1. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Hello all - I am currently looking at buying a telecaster deluxe - the two humbucker model from the 70's. Could i get some opinions / experience with these guitars? Currently looking at a 73 model and a 78 model. Played one a while back and it played nice - but it was unamplified. I have been told it covers similar ground to a 335...but if I'm wrong tell me otherwise!

Cheers! :BEER

2. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

Im also interested in getting one and learning a bit more about them.

You want to cover all the standard ground with vintage instruments but mostly you want to make sure no one has ripped out the original wide ranges (worth about $800 a pair) and dropped in crappy RI pickups which are nothing like the originals.

3. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Cool - any more thoughts?

4. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

They don't sound or play like a 335, if that's what you are after, but they do have their own vibe. Kind of a Fender meets Gibson in the 70's thing...

5. daphil_1

daphil_1 Member

Funny - I have had two people say to me that the wide range humbuckers provide a bit of "air" to teh sound - hence the 335 comparrison.

Yeah I agree they are very 70's...makes me wanna sing "up on cripple creek" by the band.

6. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

The wide ranged are supposed to sound much clearer than a gibson pickup with a flatter frequency response. Ash sounds a lot different than mahogany and maple too.

7. michaelvincent

michaelvincent Member

I ultimately found the 'buckers in my Deluxe to be muddy, they aren't anything like the original wide range pickups in the original. I pulled the neck pickup and swapped it with a humbucker sized P90 and was much happier with it.

I absolutely loved the feel of it from day one though.