Deluxe, Vibrolux impressions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GuitarArt1980, May 6, 2015.

1. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

Last year I got a great deal on a 64 Princeton Reverb, which sounds great as a small venue/recording amp. However, lately I've been thinking of selling it (and possibly making ~$1k profit!) and buying multiple amps to shore up my Fender GAS.

This would likely include picking up a late 70s silverface Princeton Reverb (which AFAIK would get me close enough in tone to the one I'm selling) and either a silverface Deluxe Reverb or Vibrolux Reverb.

Thing is, I've played both a DR and VR briefly over the past few years, but never in the same place where I can make a direct A/B comparison (talking 70s silverface here). My fuzzy memory of these 2 amps are telling me this...

The Deluxe Reverb has a more sparkly scooped tone that lends itself well to surf or country. The Vibrolux Reverb is fatter and lends itself well to blues or rock tones, almost like a bigger more powerful Princeton Reverb.

Do you think this is an accurate assessment? Which would you choose to become the big brother to a Princeton Reverb (i play clean to mid-gain indie rock)?

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Those attributes are variable between different specimens of the same amp and also vary with particular speakers.

The BEST generalization that can be made is that the Vibrolux Reverb has almost double the power of the Deluxe Reverb which results in more clean headroom.

3. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I have both. I gig the BFDR about 80% of the time.
    The Vibrolux is a bit more sterile sounding, it sounds good, but you need to have a venue that allows you to play at some volume. When I try to play it at a smaller venue, I end up tired of trying to get in the zone by night's end.
    The circuit is nearly identical in these amps, it's the 6L6 vs 6V6 sound that is different. The BFDR can be made fat and sweet with the right speaker.
    I rarely play the BFDR over 3 on the volume. Blues and rock 5 piece band.

4. GuitarArt1980

GuitarArt1980 Member

5. fuzzface71

fuzzface71 Member

Volumewise, the VR (even the more headroom silver face) is not that much louder than my blackface Deluxe Reverb. I even find the DR a tad louder and cutting. The PR is great for home and recordings, not too much gigging power, well depending on the style of music and venue.

[​IMG]