• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.
  • On Thursday, January 20, 2022, starting at 7 pm EST, We will take the forum offline to do the necessary upgrades. Estimates are a possible 3-hour total downtime to complete the process. So mark your calendar to play your guitar.

Deluxemaster Thinline with Tummy Cut

Deed_Poll

Hey guys,

So this one's a Deluxemaster Thinline for a friend on another forum!

He wanted a solid top colour, white binding and a natural back - but was also keen on a tummy cut.

Since this was a first for me, I thought I'd document the build process so you can come along for the ride.

So I cut the back of the core first, so that's the ferrule holes, neck bolt holes and the contour (and the reference holes)

Next I flipped it over and pegged the reference holes into the bed, and cut the main cavities from the core

After that I put the ball end on the spindle to cut the inside of the contour. The transition ended up pretty good in the end so I guess my Z heights were spot on! (I was concerned there would be an obvious line between the two surfaces)

After that it was time to take the core off the machine and give it a closer inspection. I gave it a good knock all over and it sounds really lively, particularly the contoured area! I left a 7mm thickness so it's not too delicate. I'm hoping this will mean the final guitar will feel very resonant against the player's body as well as the fretting hand. I must remember to ask when it's done!

The owner is planning on a natural finish for the back, so I picked an attractive piece. It's really cool, almost has a birdseye figure to it, and I'm very happy with the join - it's as close to invisible as I've ever managed.

Deed_Poll

After that I thinned down a piece of birch ply to just under 6mm (the thickness of the binding - I didn't want the top wood poking out from underneath) and cut the top from what will be the underside. I only had to do the f-hole and control cavity (for access under the pickguard) because the other features (pickup routes, bridge holes, neck pocket etc.) will be cut last once it's glued up to the core.

Then I lined up the reference holes with the core to check everything lines up properly. Annoyingly I did the control access hole a tiny bit too big, so that one of the pickguard mounting screws will split the difference

:fp:

Not to worry, I'll graft a tiny piece of ply to give a good flat base for that screw and it shouldn't be obvious (it will be under the pickguard at any rate).

Detail of the f-hole - cut very cleanly (I thin down the underside of the top around the f-hole to make it seem like the top is only 3mm thick - I forgot to take a picture)

And into the clamps! With everything else done, I'll open her up in the morning and do the final cut from the top.

Deed_Poll

So I finished the cut today, it came out really hairy around the edges, which was a nightmare clogging up the binding channel! But I managed to gouge t all out with a pointed file, and thought I'd do a test fit of the white binding before my big bottle of acetone arrives from eBay. Also to check my blue masking tape is up to task (I'll definitely use more tape than this when it comes to the gluing it on, but it seems to hold well).

There are a couple of splintery bits in the cavity (always seems to happen when cutting across a centreblock, I need to sort out my toolpaths) but other than that, it's looking pretty good!

The end grain is really nice on this piece, in person it almost looks like walnut burl! Hard to capture in the pictures. But it's a lovely colour too - brown with black streaks. I think it will look ace with a finish on it.

I was also relieved to discover I've matched up the grain pretty well on the ends, it was hard to tell because I didn't line them up level with each other at the bottom of the blank.

Cheers!

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
Absolutely stunning craftsmanship! Beautiful.....:)

Deed_Poll

Cheers guys! Much appreciated :)

I took the opportunity today of test fitting a neck for a little mockup. I'm getting antsy and the acetone won't arrive until Friday! But I thought I'd see how it looked with a matching bound neck.

This is a Warmoth 24-3/4" scale conversion neck I have waiting to go on another guitar. It wasn't planned, but the overhang could certainly be made to butt up to the neck pickup with a very slight adjustment of the pickguard (there's enough wiggle room in the route to make it possible).

mistercharlie

Very nice. It reminds me a little of Reverend guitars — a modern-retro look to the body. What color will the top be?

Deed_Poll

Thanks! The top will be silver sparkle, gunning for a '70s Fender meets Gretsch look on this one!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom