Demeter Fuzzulator

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Windup 43, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Been through a bunch of fuzzes and never really came across one that truly did it for me, but color me impressed w/ this one!! Smooth yet articulate (even at highest gain settings), harmonically rich, cleans up fairly well w/ guitar's vol. knob, never muddy, excellent clarity w/ chords, great variety of tones to be had and dead quiet. Loving it so far- anyone else here rocking one of these?? Haven't seen this one talked about all that much...

2. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    +1 on the Demeter Fuzzulator! I too found it very flexible and great sounding. I have one in two different rigs. The only other fuzz I have found to be equally flexible is the Carl Martin The FUZZ pedal, which is larger and runs on 110 volts.

TheGrooveking

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Windup 43

That first one is :drool This is the first fuzz I've owned that made me say "wow- now THAT'S the fuzz sound I've been looking for!!" Any more love for this great fuzz??

4. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Yup, was never much of a fuzz fan, but I totally dig this one!

5. erksin

erksin Member

www.swankbox.org

He does AMAZING stuff... :dude

6. Windup 43

Very cool, thanks for the linky!!

7. Hugh DaMann

Hugh DaMann Silver Supporting Member

Still my favorite pedal. I've been using my amp's OD lately, but I need to get back to using the Demeter. Great pedal.

8. Dave

Dave Member

Maybe because the Fuzzulator is more like a distortion than a fuzz? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great sounding pedal, but it's not very fuzz-like IMO.

9. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

I found it to be rather tubescreamer-ish with the loose switch on IIRC, just with tons more gain.

10. Windup 43

It sounds a lot more focused and controlled to me than some other fuzzes that I've owned, but certainly still sounds like a fuzz to my ears. Lot of sweet spots and easy to dial in as well.

11. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Interesting, I never heard it that way at all. I'll agree that it is a very focused sounding fuzz and perhaps more in the distortion camp, but it still has that transistor "flavor" that is so different from IC-based pedals like a TS....IMO of course.

12. andrewi

andrewi Member

LOVE my Fuzzulator. I'd been using a Big Muff and was pretty happy with it, then I played through a friends Fuzzulator. I bought the first one I could find.

The only negative I can think of is you can't dial it in to be as dark sounding as the Big Muff. I occasionally miss that if I feel like I need those kind of overtones. The good SO far outweigh this one thing though. Plus the kicker of watching our drummer's eyes light up when I kick it on is always a bonus, he likes the chunk chunk.
    :dude

13. Windup 43

I agree, but I usually hover around the brighter end of the spectrum soundwise so that's not an issue for me. I owned a Big Muff a while back and it frustrated me that I couldn't get any note articulation out of it and wouldn't clean up at all w/ the vol. knob, but that's the nature of the beast I suppose. On the other end of the spectrum, I also had a Sweetsound Monterey that cleaned up incredibly well and had outstanding note articulation, however wasn't exactly the sound I was looking for. I've only had the Fuzzulator a short time, but every time I kick it on it immedeately has that "wow factor" for me that I've only experienced w/ a select few pedals :cool:

14. Zillie

Zillie Member

how does it work? you got the empty box painted and then sent it to demeter or who does the writing? i'm still not getting the whole process with custom painted boxes...

15. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

It very much sounds and feels like a fuzz to me. It doesn't get out of control or do that spitty thing, but I'm not into that anyway...

16. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    The orange Demeter is one from when Demeter does custom colors. Check Demeter's website, from time to time they have them.

TheGrooveking

17. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

Well, more in the way that it has some of clean signal blended in with the fuzz. It has the same clarity that a TS does. I guess it probably uses asymmetrical clipping in the 'loose' mode like the TS does?

18. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Great pedal! Love it for slide work!

19. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Best fuzz i've tried. Smooth, articulate and 'usable' :AOK

20. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

loose is germanium, tight is LED

One question to the other users, is there a HUGE volume difference between tight and loose settings?