Demeter love...anyone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Garygtr, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

I just scored a Demeter Fuzzulator from another forumite and am very pleased! Used it last night at a rehearsal and found it very workable and sweet sounding to boot. I was a little apprehensive about pulling the trigger on this one because I've been burned by Guitar Player mags "Editors Picks" before, but this thing really seems to deliver what they say it does-sweet sounding, focused fuzz.
    I'm wondering why Demeter effects don't seem to get much mention on this forum (with the exception of maybe the Tremulator)? Too mainstream? Plain looking boxes not sexy enough? :rolleyes:

Thoughts?

2. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Massive fan of the Compulator compresser here. Own it, use it and love it.

3. zzzezums

zzzezums Silver Supporting Member

love my tremulator.

James likes this.
  4. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Big Demeter Fan!!! TGP-3 Preamp, TGA-Slave Power Amp, Fuzzulator, Tube Direct Box, Tremulator. Great functional designs full of tone!
    Rick

James likes this.
  5. Ron K

Ron K Supporting Member

Another Compulator fan here. (just gotta be careful on spelling that one...)

6. johnrea_77

johnrea_77 Silver Supporting Member

I went through a good share of tube preamps in the day before going back to combos. It was probably during my worst GAS phase. Now I don't spend EVERY $ I make playing on gear, only about 1/3 to 1/2.

The Demeter TGP-3 was the BEST preamp that I ever played. Three quality channels that all sounded great. I had more verstile ones but none sounded better than the TGP-3. Also, Phil at Demeter checked mine out and tweaked it for max performance for a reasonable charge. It is the first one I would try to get again if I went back to the rack.

The list of "also-rans"
    • Kitty Hawk Quattro
    • Kitty Hawk Testarossa
    • Rocktron Piranha
    • Hughes & Kettner Access (this was the most versatile)
    • Rolls MP45 (good value, tough to program)
    If I remember right mine was serial numer 12 out of 100 total.

7. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

Hmm, perhaps I need to choose "search all threads" rather than "search titles only" :eek:
    Yes, I do see that their have been many positive responses by some very loyal users, more than I realized, and rightly so for such a cool pedal. And the lack of HYPE was a good thing when I was buying....now, if I ever decide to sell .....:rolleyes: Gotta get the hype machine in gear!

8. James

James Member

I love, love, love the Demeter stuff. I have a few of the old red-knobbed Tremulators, a Compulator and the Fat Control (I think this box is really wonderful with single-coil, P90s and my Turner Model 1.)

I'd love to check out the Fuzzulator, but don't really need another fuzz box.

:RoCkIn

Demeter's stuff is great; love the tones, and they seem very solid.

I'd heard a bit about the new stereo Tremulator but it doesn't appear it's out yet. I'd love to check that out when it's released.

9. dbx

dbx Supporting Member

The Fuzzulator is not "just a fuzz box", when you flip the tight switch on, it creates some nice distortion, quite surprisingly and was the effect that finally turned me on to distortion...:cool:

10. landru64

landru64 Member

i had a fat control. very cool! wish i had kept it.
    i have an old red knob tremulator. also very cool (are they any better than the current ones?). i'm kind of a trem junkie (i currently have: powerglide, kaden, bennett, schaller, nobels, zvex seek, demeter, more to come!) and the demeter does extremely well against all of these.
    also just got a compulator. kicks butt!

11. amc

amc Member

I am lucky to have a TGP-3 preamp (and a TGA-Slave power amp).

It is the best preamp ever made IMHO.

Exceptional quality sound and construction.

12. Sid

Sid Member

the new fat overdrive...seems truly exceptional from the clips....:crazyguy

13. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

I love everything I've got from Demeter, Comp, Fuzz, & FOD. Possibly the highest quality/least hyped fx out there. One of these days I wanna get one of their amps.

14. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

How could I forget my Demeter Fat Boost! I have the on-board version in my Strat. That way I don't leave home without it!
    Rick

15. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I feel the same way about mine. I went through a couple of TGA-3 heads and they were both great amps, but there's that element of extreme control and versatility with the TGP-3 and the TGA Slave Power Amp. Lucky is definitely the feeling as there were only 100 preamps and 30 power amps made.
    FWIW,
    Rick

16. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

17. flicker180

flicker180 Member

i have the FOD-1 and it's amazing...it's the only overdrive/boost pedal i'm using now.

dave

18. James

James Member

Oh yeah, I forgot about that Demeter FOD pedal...I'd like to check out one of those too...Hmmmm...

landru64, I do think the older red-knobbed tremulators are a bit warmer-sounding, but that's just my opinion. The new ones sound great too, I've had both.

I agree Splatt, the Fat Control cicuit (well, I have the pedal but I understand it's the same as the innards on the Tylers) is very musical. I think that's what I love about Demeter's stuff!

:)