Demeter Mid boost users?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by exodus, Oct 27, 2005.

1. exodus

exodus Member

I'm looking around for something real simple that I can kick in for leads, and would like something that adds some mids. Kinda like the klon, but smaller, cheaper, true bypass, etc.

The demeter mid boost looks interesting--can anyone comment on it?

What about the fulltone fatboost?

2. flicker180

flicker180 Member

i use the midboost feature ALL the time on my board (i have it as part of my FOD-1)...

very cool.

dave

3. exodus

exodus Member

is it true bypass? Can it deliver some fatness/mids?

4. flicker180

flicker180 Member

fatness, yes...it pushes my OCD wonderfully and adds some nice growl to the distortion side of the FOD-1.

and, it'll punch your amp in the nose quite well too. true bypass, yes...

dave

5. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

have you ever played a tyler guitar with the active mid-boost? it is the same one. i've used a tyler with that in it & it sounded very nice. it is also similar to the EMG SPC mid boost.

6. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

I have had the Demeter Mid Boost on-board my Strat for a few years now and it's virtually a secret weapon. It's a buffered output mid boost where you can dial in the amount of thickness as needed. Great for overdriving the right amp circuit or even thickening up a clean sound. Love cranking the knob when on the bridge pickup, turns a Strat into a firebreather. Very musical, the best out there.
    FWIW,
    Rick

7. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

I had one in a pedal form and it was sometimes useful , sometimes too muddy . Depends on the pickups ....probably better for strat . I didn`t like that even in bypass it uses a buffer ..adding a db or2 or 3 . I kept it in a TB looper to keep the gtr signal TB ....It`s very helpful though . I guess I didn`t like that it`s EQ curve changed as the gain went up . I liked the tone with a slight mid boost but it wasn`t loud enough . When I got it loud enough the EQ was too much mid mud ,, ahhhh. go ahead and check it out !

8. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Although I really don't find the Demeter "muddy", I also have an Alembic Blaster in my Strat which adds a volume boost and a little high end that takes care of any muddiness at any volume. They are a cool combination because I can boost the Strat sounds or thicken everything up and let 'er rip with the flick of a mini toggle and the twist of a knob right on my guitar. With this set-up and my Budda Stringmaster I don't use or need any pedals and in front of the clean channel on my Demeter TGP-3 or a Fender set clean I use a Zendrive and have all kinds of fun.
    Happy Trails,
    Rick

9. al carmichael

al carmichael Member

Likewise. I've had one in my Strat for close to ten years now and its great for fattening up that bridge pickup or any combination really. Especially nice with an overdrive pedal. If you don't want it on, you dial it out, and you can vary the amount of the boost with the knob.

It made my Strat controls real simple too--master volume, master tone, boost. Another thing I like is that you can use the most chimey, clean pickups and this midrange boost can slowly take them to p-90 territory. Sometimes you want the fat sounding pickup and sometimes you want the transparent Fender sound. With the Demeter, you can have both.

10. jpagey

jpagey Member

Al turned me onto the Demeter. It's a great addtion to your strat.

11. monstermike

monstermike Member

It's a more refined version of that idea, yeah.

12. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Fulltone Fat Boost would probably meet your needs as well. I like mine.

13. jasonlee77

jasonlee77 Member

I have a Demeter mid boost pedal ,it is a very good pedal to adds you more on midrange.I also had Klon it's a different kind pedal,klon make's the sound bigger,wide open,so if you looking for pedal to add midrange,the demeter is good for you.;)

14. BluePowder

BluePowder Member

I have the onboard version installed in my EJ Strat, worked wonderful! Can really give you a lot of tonal options with single coils. It's a little overkill and redundant with humbuckers IMHO.

If you're gonna get one I'd recommend getting the onboard version with a bypass installed. For starters you won't have to fumble with a knob at your feet all the time.

15. jpagey

jpagey Member

It does?

16. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Member

The fatboost has a bit of an EQ curve to it but it is fixed and nowhere near as fat as an actual active midboost.

Another option is the Villex PASSIVE midboost. This one installs in your guitar and requires no battry. They even have one built right into a strat cable jack with the switch right on it. Lots of good reviews over at Musictoyz

http://www.villex.com/boosters.html

17. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Fat boost is no where near as good and I don't own either. I almost went for the Demeter but needed more of a pure clean boost so I skipped it. For single coils it's an excellent effect, a bit pricy though.

18. James

James Member

I have both the Demeter Fat Control pedal and the Fulltone Fat Boost. They're both GREAT, very useful boxes. Both are essential to me; desert-island boxes.

I think of the Demeter as a "magic box". It's magic with single-coil pick-ups. I wouldn't use on my humbucker guitars (Les Pauls). It really fattens and thickens up the tone - either clean tones or overdriven tones. I find it also boosts the volume (level) quite a bit. I wish it didn't quite as much, or that it had a trimpot to adjust.

The Fulltone Fat Boost is also great.

I use the Demeter Fat Control to thicken the tone for single-coil pick-ups (P90s in my case). I use the Fulltone Fat Boost as a clean boost in cases where I just want the guitar to be louder, but maintain the exact same EQ. The Fulltone Fat Boost is true-bypass, the Demeter is not (it's a buffered output). I don't find either one to be a problem in terms of tone/signal degredation, either on or off.

All best,
    James

19. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

I have a Demeter Mid-Boost that was rehoused by Robert Keeley he made a really cool chromed case for it.
    Looks great and sounds fantastic.

20. matt5150

matt5150 Either U Know Or U Don't Supporting Member

The Demeter is definitely a sleeper.

Great for adding roundness to your tone.

Matt