Demeter TGA-3 or TGP-3 users....Need some info. on tubes you are using, and other info. if possible!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Teleuride, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Teleuride

Teleuride Supporting Member

All,

I just scored a (199?) TGA-3 combo SN: 138 that was converted to a head. I have always wanted one of these!!!!! I would like to know what types of tubes are you using at the moment..... This one has JJ El34's and six Tung-Sol 12AX7's. I have some NOS preamp tubes, but just wanted some information on what you think would be best for this head. Are you liking 6550's, 5881's or EL34's? NOS or not? Also, does anyone have a tube diagram handy? Which one is the PI slot? I have some really nice late-nineties Sovtek 12AX7LPS tubes for that slot.... Any other info. about this amp would be helpful... Any tips are welcomed!!! One more thing.... What are your serial numbers, and year your Demeter TGA-3 was made? I talked to Jim and he said this one was probably made in the late-nineties, but he wasn't for sure on that.... Just trying to gauge when mine was made!
    Thanks for your time!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  2. Teleuride

Bump....Anyone.....?

3. Teleuride

4. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

If you post a schem we can tell you what location the PI is.
    Otherwise.....just shoot an email to James, he will be happy to give you the info.
    good luck with your new head :)

5. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

Agreed, James is great with support and prompt.

sorry only have a TGA-2. But that certainly kicks with plenty of options on board.

6. Teleuride

I am using 6L6's now, and it has improved the sound a lot better. Still experimenting with different preamp tubes, but after talking with Jim he said that V2 and V3 could be switched around depending on the year. He said he would have to see it to see whether one was the drive channel and the clean channel. I guess I will have to switch out the tubes to see which one is affected.... He did say that this was a late-nineties model, maybe 1998. Anyway, I love the sound of this amp! Different tones with a twist of your volume knob, but very responsive. Now, I just need to work on getting a 4x12 to really hear it breathe.... Maybe some V30's, Classic Lead's, Creambacks or a mix. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  7. Teleuride

8. Teleuride

Found a 4x12 cab, but now I am looking for some suggestions on what preamp tubes you like, and why? NOS or New? I am in the market, but I would like to get some additional info. if I could. Thanks for your response!

9. Teleuride

10. Amp-Rat

Amp-Rat Member

I just scored a TGA-3, one of the first 5 built according to John. Quite excited to get it up and running.

Teleuride and Stonebandit like this.