Demeter Tremulator volume loss problem

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by slyzspyz, Feb 5, 2012.

1. slyzspyz

slyzspyz Member

hi, perhaps someone might be able to help me out here -
    I've used the Tremulator for over 5 years and today when rewiring my pedalboard, I noticed when the depth control is halfway up or more there is a distinct thinning out of tone and volume drop. The trademark db boost is still there when the depth is at zero and just above, but the problem I mentioned is a new one, it certainly wasn't there before, and compared to the boost at zero depth it is pretty drastic.
    I had noticed at gigs in the last week or two that something has sounded different but at home it was more obvious when testing. I plugged directly into the trem in case it was a weird interaction with a pedal in front of it but the problem was still there. It is subtle enough on a gig that I can compensate with other settings (amp, volume pedal) but I miss the old punchy sound.
    Does anyone have experience with this or if there is some testing/repair possible?

2. willyboy

willyboy Member

e-mail Demeter?

3. Bazaboy33

Bazaboy33 Supporting Member

Mine does the same thing...Does anyone know of a mod to counteract the volume loss at higher than noon depth settings? I love the trem, but would like more usable depth range w/o volume loss.

4. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

not sure as to your problem but I've gotten terrific service & support from Demeter in the past so don't hesitate to call or contact them to see what they suggest. They repaired/refurb'd 2 of my older Tremulators for a really reasonable price a few yrs. ago.

5. slyzspyz

slyzspyz Member

thanks I am going to email Demeter but it is the weekend so thought I'd get a response from the forum here quicker. Plus my pedal was bought 2nd hand a long time ago, and I'm in Australia so getting a repair done by them might be a costly exercise.

6. Eliguitar

Eliguitar Member

If thats your main setting why not raise the trim pot on the left side of the pedal?

7. slyzspyz

slyzspyz Member

I've played with the trim pot a bit but it seems to affect the wave of the amplitude, anyway my point is that something has changed in the pedal's performance recently, indicating a possible component failure which I would like to address

8. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

I didn't notice the OZ location but my Tremulators were also secondhand and they serviced them very cost effectively, I was shocked at how reasonable the price was (not including shipping costs, of course, from where you are).... good luck.

9. slyzspyz

slyzspyz Member

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The volume and low end drop only was noticeable after I'd reconfigured the pedal board to : guitar > a bunch of stuff > a buffered pedal (Arion chorus) > Tremulator > Ernie Ball VP jr 25k > more stuff > amp

The 25k Volume pedal was originally purchased because I had some buffered pedals on the pedalboard (as opposed to the 250k model for passive signals). But for some reason it didn't like having the Tremulator immediately before it, when I swapped the order and put the Trem before the Chorus, then into the VP, everything was back to the way it should sound. I had it set up this way before and there was no problem, I'd swapped the order recently thinking trem after chorus would be more "natural".

Now, I thought it shouldn't really matter where a buffered pedal is placed but in this case the difference is ridiculously huge. It's either that or the Trem is doing something dastardly to the signal which the VP didn't like, anyway it's all good now. Yippee

btw James Demeter was responsive in his emails although the solution turned out to be something else entirely

10. Daka3

Daka3 Member

Congratulations. Love it When problems solve themselves, more or less. Sweet trem, love mine.