Demo a JTV

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Vincent1, May 27, 2015.

1. Vincent1

Vincent1 Member

WHERE!? can I try the variax in upstate New York. Albany area. Ineed to know if the customizable alternate
    tuning is as easy as professed. Joni Mitchell is one of my heroes. Playing her stuff is virtually impossible unless I can access a few of the unique tunings she uses. JTV would be the answer to a prayer. Thanks for your help!

2. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

Can you give me examples of tunings you'd want to do? I'll see if I can get them with mine.

3. Vincent1

Vincent1 Member

• There are more and different notations at "Joni Mitchell tunings". Retuning guitars is the only way I could get to play her stuff. Thank you SO much
      also If you recognize her music, it may be easier to hear if the tunings are working Again..Thanks!

In general, I find the top three digits of the patterns most useful for organizing the songs into groups that are related to each other. The songs which have 543 as the top digits of their tuning patterns are the largest example of several related groups, but other close relationships exist which are not so immediately obvious from looking at the numbers. Compare the following tuning patterns, and you will see what I mean:

x77235 and x77325
      tune the 3rd string 1/2 step higher to change x77235 into x77325
      ions
      x77354 and x78254
      tune the 4th string 1/2 step higher to change x77354 into x78254

x73635 and x73725
      tune the 3rd string 1/2 step higher to change x73635 into x73725

x75435 and x73635
      tune the 4th string 1 whole step lower to change x75435 into x73635

This kind of information is useful for organizing a setlist for performance - you can organize the songs you want to sing into their groups and then organize the groups so that the tuning changes you need to make are very minor ones. If two songs in one group have different roots, you might consider tuning the guitar to the lower of the two tunings, then using the capo when you want to play the song in the higher tuning.

There are more and different notations at "Joni Mitchell tunings". Retuning guitars is the only way I could get to play her stuff. Thank you SO much

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  4. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

So just tuning the D or G strings up or down a half or whole step? That would be a cinch, and you can save the settings as easily accessible presets.

5. Vincent1

Vincent1 Member

6. Vincent1

Vincent1 Member

so..saving a number..say ..10-12 different tunings, to the software would be easy and easily accessible? or Would I have to use
    too much "knob" space ON the guitar itself

BTW I really like design of your B-Way. I was just browsing.
    Looks very comfortable and inviting. I'll HAVE to try one soon

7. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

To save and access 10-12 tunings, I think you'd need an HD500, HD500x, HD Pro, HD Pro X, or Firehawk.

Thanks for the kind words! If you're ever in the NYC area you can always come check out my prototype or builds in progress.