Dented Alnico Blue-Please take a look

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DavidH, Feb 27, 2009.

1. DavidH

DavidH Member

I just got this blue today, it's brand new. It has a dent/deformation in the endbell. I don't know if it's from manufacturing or shipping but the frame is totally straight, and sits perfectly flat, it's just the endbell/cover.

I'm just wondering if this is critical, if it's not i'll just keep it, it sounds great. having not seen under the cover on one of these i'm just wondering if there's an air space under there, or if this dent could be critical in some way, aside from aesthetics. If it's not really an issue then i'd rather not have to bother with sending it back.

What would you do?

cheers, David.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

There's a gap underneath. If the speaker isn't making weird noises by now you're good to go. I have had a few like this, the dented cover was no problem.

3. DavidH

DavidH Member

Thank you! Exactly what i wanted to hear.

4. Jube2550

Jube2550 Member

Looks just like the one I returned back to M.F. over a year ago. They sent two just like yours. Apparently they were either intentionally shipped BLEMs (I suspect this since they had some scuffing and looked more like they were previously damaged in a shipping/fall off the shelf event at the warehouse and then sent/resent regardless) or damaged in shipping via UPS to me (poorly packaged when arrived). I kept the one with the less bent dust cover and sent the worse one back. They knocked a few dollars off. Either way I was extremely ticked off for the price and carelessness of shipping. Even the OEM celestion boxes should be better designed to protect for such an expensive speaker.

It sounds fine and handles the cranked AC30. However, whenever I thought I heard strange noises/vibrations from the VOX 2x12 cab I was always checking. Just check it out. There is an old thread here on TGP where Celestion101 rep has some responses. I also posted pictures. I will see if I can find the thread.

Buy from Dave at Avatar if you ever need speakers, his are flawless and packaged well. The second Blue (actually 3rd) I got from him and it was perfect. Cheers.

5. DavidH

DavidH Member

Well it sounds great, so i'll keep it. I'm in the UK, bought it from hotrox. i've tried a Gold with this amp before (Mojave Coyote) and it fizzed like mad, with this blue i'm not getting that and it's the best the amp has ever sounded by miles, the breakup is to die for, it feels amazing right now. I don't know how consistent these speakers are so i'd better keep this one, since the amp and speaker seem to like each other so much! I'm not bothered about it from a cosmetic standpoint, just needed to know if there was potential for problems , but since there's a small air gap under there and it's sounding right then i'm fine with it.

I wonder if all these cases are really from shipping/handling though, or if it can be from manufacturing, since it seems quite common judging by this thread. The box isn't damaged on this one.

6. twangbanger

twangbanger Member

If you love the way it sounds now...... It only gets better as they break in! Or maybe the shipper already BROKE it in for you... One of my all time favorite speaker.