Dentist said I grind my teeth during sleep... A dental night guard prescribed.

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by standard24, May 13, 2015.

1. standard24

standard24 Member

He showed me where I'm losing tooth surface, due to grinding my teeth at night. He said that he could fit me for a dental guard for half of what other dentists would charge. $450 compared to $900.

I went back to see him for a checkup/cleaning, and he asked me about scheduling a fitting for the guard. I told him I'd purchased a guard from Walmart for about $2.00 and had been using them for the last 6 months. (Drop the new guard into boiling water for a minute, shake off the water and bite it to fit the shape of my teeth/mouth. Trimmed it down with scissors.)

He said... "Oh, that will work just fine".

Why didn't he suggest that instead of a $450 item? I guess I put too much trust and respect into the characters of doctors. Maybe they have kids to put through college too?

2. Jimmy B

Jimmy B Member

He's probably still paying for his own education.

3. Guitarbean25

Guitarbean25 Silver Supporting Member

I stepped and paid the higher price. The cheap sports ones wear out really fast, they're not nearly as comfy nor do they fit best, and I end up spitting them out at night. People are different though. The custom ones also help in keeping you from actually moving your jaw, which should help your jaw muscles and neck and overall body balance longer term.

4. McShred

McShred Supporting Member

All dentists charge around $500 for a nightguard. I've worn through 3 of them in the last decade. That $900 is nonsense.

I've tried those do it yourself guards when I've temporarily misplaced mine. They are complete crap compared to one molded to your actual mouth

5. TRTrex

TRTrex Member

Put mine back in last night for the first time in about a year (( was just at the dentist, got yelled at for not using. The hygienist even texted me about using it )), and was shocked at how well it still fit after all this time. Just need to stay on top of it so I don't crack any more teeth.

6. standard24

standard24 Member

I didn't realize there were other factors involved besides tooth wear. I don't know if I'm missing out on some of the other benefits... Maybe so...

The ones I use, I trim down, so it doesn't hardly touch my gums. I actually find them comfortable. Anyway, I guess they're preventing further wear. Better than nothing.

7. GAD

GAD Wubbalubbadubdub Silver Supporting Member

For the same reason that my dentist tried to convince me to "just let him do it" when I needed major dental and sinus surgery. This being the dentist who missed a root on my root canal 10 years ago that developed into the infected mess requiring surgery.

8. marktweedy

marktweedy In Transit® Silver Supporting Member

Whatever you do, get one that is comfortable, and then wear it. I sat in the dentist's chair for two hours yesterday, being the first of three appointments to repair the damage caused by grinding at night. I had one didn't that wasn't comfortable and I didn't wear it.

The ticket on my dental work is around $4000.00. Mercifully, a friendly ex is a dentist and is doing it at her cost, which should be about half that.

Last edited: May 13, 2015
  9. chopsley

chopsley Silver Supporting Member

I've heard that the store-bought ones can increase the chances you'll get TMJ, but I don't know what the evidence is for that.

I clench my jaw at night (or when I'm practicing guitar, concentrating in general, etc. etc.). For a while I used the soft ones, but I'd go through them so fast it was ridiculous. I got one of the hard plastic ones, and it's lasted a long time, although it does move your teeth a little bit, which kind of sucks. (Just to be clear, these are custom ones made by my dentist).

10. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

My dentist tells me to get one every time I go. I've been stubborn and said I knew I wouldn't stick with wearing one at night. Hearing you guys say the custom molded ones are comfortable is helpful to me...

11. TRTrex

TRTrex Member

They really are comfortable. Like I mentioned, I went about a year without wearing mine, wore it last night. Was a little annoying for the first 5 minutes, after that I forgot about it.

Not sure if it is related or not, but didn't have a headache today, which seems to happen daily.

12. Matt McGriff

Matt McGriff Member

I get the ones at walgreens that are just two pads on the molars connected by a small plastic bridge. Comes in a box of 20 or so. Lasted me a couple of years so far. Cost about $25.

13. redragon

redragon Silver Supporting Member

I had the same problem and never dealt with it. Now I am in the dentist all the time because I cracked a lot of my teeth in half. I was young, stressed out and stupid.

Spend what you need to to to handle the problem.

14. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

My wife does the same. Our dentist legitimately told us to go to CVS/walgreens and buy the self-molding tooth guard. Maybe she felt bad for the two grad students in front of her? ;)

15. SkyhighRocks

SkyhighRocks Member

I used to grind my teeth at night and was prescribed the guard. It ended up making me grind and clench even more...so much that my entire top row of teeth moved such that I couldn't even bite off a piece of pizza. I stopped right away and now, years later, my teeth moved back to where they should be. I stopped going to that guy.

16. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

sounds like a scam!!

17. lefort_1

lefort_1 Nuzzled Firmly Betwixt Gold Supporting Member

so much to say and absolutely no time to do it.
    If this thread is still alive tonight, I'll try to chip in my 2 cent..

bottom line: each mouth and patient mental/physical makeup is different, and expecting one single answer for all situations is never going to pan out. More later.

18. Oakvillain

Oakvillain Member

Wow. In Canada it's $200 and change and covered under group benefits. I don't leave home without one.

19. golfnbobp

golfnbobp Member

retired dental lab owner use to boot leg them for 100.00 shop around you might get lucky

20. standard24

standard24 Member

My dad used to make bootleg full upper/lower dentures. He could make a set for about 1/5th of legit. He always told me it was a secret, and he could be arrested if word got out.

A dad, just trying to feed his family.