Depressing music scene round here.. what to do?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by MONSTER ZERO, Mar 22, 2015.

1. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

This most certainly isn't news but it seems Rock n Roll around these parts has all but up and died. Just a stern reminder last night with the turnout my band had in a room we typically do amazingly well in.

This is the first time I've seen less than 40 people at one of our gigs. I got into a discussion with the lead singer of a very *cough, cough* popular band around these parts that gig 6-8 times a month who said it's happening to every band around here..at least if you happen to play any semblance of rock or metal.

In his opinion it's up to the bands now to maximize turn out at these clubs and I have to agree with him. It's not the 80's and 90's any more where the clubs had very good built in crowds that wanted to go see a live band.

Of course we promote the hell out of our gigs on social media and to our friends and co-workers but it seems like people just don't go out any more. I know part of it is demographic too. I personally do not go out every weekend to see bands nor most of my friends. My typical Saturday night does not involve going to see a local band.

I guess I am soliciting some ideas on what not only my band can do but I myself can do to help kickstart this area? Hoping someone here has some suggestions because I am not coming up with any other than old fashioned word spreading..

2. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

Usually, people that go out regularly are young. If they want to go out to dance or hear music, it's EDM. Old people, who once went out to see rock bands, don't go out as much as they get older.

3. loudboy

loudboy Member

Tribute bands, or established (like 20 years) Top 40 acts are the only bands that draw around here.

The days of the classic rock club act are about done, as the audiences age out.

4. Tahitijack

Tahitijack Member

New Hampshire? Weather related?

You may have answered you own question. Its not the 80s or 90s anymore. Is it time to move your set list up to songs that are hits in this century?

5. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

Brutal business. I found that gigs during the NCAA brackets and other very popular sporting events add to the problem. Around here playing a club on a Saturday night when Ohio State plays late is brutal. Many bars have the bands start really late or don't book at all that night.

It's up to the band to look at it strictly as a business. We have to do something to draw customers. Some bands come up with clever ideas.
    Disco bands with afro wigs, platform shoes, Nerd kind of bands and other ideas. They use a gimmick to bring folks in. Some are doing the tribute thing.

Most of the bands having success use a gimmick but are also very talented.

Everyone can't be a great sales person. It's an under appreciated sometimes looked down on skill. Bands need to look at it like one of their main functions and maybe the most important is to be a salesperson representing the band. Be outgoing, mingle with the crowd, make them your friend. Get them to come back.

These aren't easy things but some bands are doing it and are successful.

or disregard all of that and just get a very hot chick who dresses like a stripper on stage.

6. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

Watched an amazing show last night. Everywhere you turned, almost every bar, pub, and club all over town had great, local, diverse, original music. Sorry, cover bands and tribute acts, its over...

7. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

Hardly..The original bands around here draw even less.

8. MONSTER ZERO

MONSTER ZERO Member

I agree unfortunately. Though we aren't playing lame old stuff, a lot of our covers are 70's and 80's and it's not "Classic Rock" any more it's "Oldies" Holy smokes did I just admit I play oldies?

9. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Hook up with a person who organizes online singles' meet-up excursions in your area. If he or she likes your band, they will start to organize events at local clubs and restaurants where you play. My friend brought 21 people to a recent gig, and all of them ate dinner and drank, and some of them stayed all evening. The mgr. was pleased.

10. DrumBob

DrumBob Gold Supporting Member

Don't make generalizations Maybe in your part of woods it is, pal, but not here. Our top-rated cover band still works 275 shows a year. Do you?

11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

You have to adapt to what's working for other bands in your area, in clubs where you want to play. That may mean changing your band's format, or changing your band...

12. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

This.

If you want gigs playing that music, you are better off getting day gigs and festival settings where our aged generation still shows up in decent numbers.

13. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

and then you woke up and your pillow was gone. ( old joke punchline, probably had to be there)

14. modulusman

modulusman Member

And all of them making $100.00 a night.

15. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I had to adapt. Started playing acoustic gigs in brew pubs around here and we pack places. Great, responsive crowds and the pay is much better than I was making in bands. The people in our demographic want to go out but they don't want to be out late. We're done playing by 9pm in most cases which is perfect for our crowd. Country music also does very well around here.

As for rock bands, that's another story...

16. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

What was your promotional budget for the show?

17. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

No, I don't play out at all. And I specifically said I was speaking to my area.

:roll

18. Gasp100

Gasp100 Silver Supporting Member

I don't have too much to offer. I always work my ass off to get us into the places that have a Built in crowd. That is our bread and butter, bringing what we can but we are especially strong at entertaining and KEEPING people engaged all night. Of course I have to flush out the schedule with "b" rooms (on our level) which are actually nice rooms, but outside of college town and the city so naturally less draw and built in crowd. We played on Friday night and it freaking snowed the first day of spring. Our draw was pretty small (which I knew it would be, our crew waits for the good places lol) and the natural draw in the beginning of the night was just ok. Oh, they also charge a $6 cover... :(

Anyway we killed it (playing as if we were on tour) and after the first set the manager apologized to me for not having more people in the place which has NEVER happened before... So we booked a gig in July. Man the manager was SO NICE it was surreal. We will go crazy promoting for July, all hands on deck. These types of clubs pushing hard to bring live music back and being nice are almost impossible to find.

Only advice is perseverance and keep doing your best.

19. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

College town? Or near a University etc.
    Not the real world ... Would bet most of those bands played for peanuts ...

20. sideburns

sideburns Member

The local law and DUI's have an effect on our small town music scene-theres check points every weekend