Derek and Warren to QUIT the ABB.

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Stratoben127, Jan 8, 2014.

1. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

Don't forget the Warren Haynes Band. I haven't bothered to go see the ABB for about five years...same old stuff every year. I prefer hearing Warren & Derek do their own things.

2. zep41

zep41 Member

There is something more to this, but I dont know what.

Just a week ago, Gregg announced that Oteil was leaving the band this year --- then almost immediately after, Oteil said that wasnt true.

Now you have Derek and Warren both at the exact same time saying they are out after this year? Doesnt make sense that both would just want to leave simultaneously.

Either way, good thing I already got my tix to the Beacon this year. Those are going to be pricey on stubhub, since this may very well be the last year of the band.

3. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Well I just went on their website to see upcoming showws. It looks like they only play three venues. None in California.

4. dougb415

dougb415 Member

That was one of my favorite versions of the band. Concord, CA '97. WOW!!!

5. radicool

radicool Member

I'm another guy who saw Gregg's band last summer - his voice was as strong as I've ever heard it. He sang great, lots of energy, and that band was funky - had some great arrangements of old ABB tunes.
    No way is he done, unless he just wants to hang it up. His health and ability don't seem to be issues.

6. AA864

AA864 Member

They 'could' plug in any number of players and carry on, but they'd have some big shoes to fill. Also consider that Warren basically resurrected that band from the dead in 1989. He obviously injected some newly found energy as a result of several very good studio albums of new ABB material, which he contributed to in a very big way. Hittin' the Note is a masterpiece IMO.

He had good chemistry with Dickey, but he really found some magic with Derek IMO. I've seen ABB with Jimmy Herring at it was amazing, but JH never wrote any new ABB songs, he just toured and did their hits with them.

I imaigine part of the decision to leave is based on no new material in a decade for Derek and Warren. That and Gregg is just slowing down after his surgery and as he approaches 70. These guys have a lot to offer and just want to channel their creativity into newer musical pursuits.

Personally, I'd rather see Warren give up Phil Lesh and Friends and stick with ABB, but he prob feels it's time to go given Derek's decision to leave.

7. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

Just heard Steve Vai will be replacing them, and can handle both parts without issue. Should be awesome!

8. kokohi5

kokohi5 Member

I think it'd be very difficult for the ABB to continue without some relatively big name guitarists. Although I wasn't a huge fan of what he did with the Crowes, Luther Dickinson could be a nice fit. If they could patch things up with Dickey, that'd be huge. Really, they should just do whatever it takes to get Dickey and his songs back in the band. If not, someone more similar to his style would be nice. Derek and Warren are two of my all time favorite guitarists, but it got to be a little too much of the same thing with ABB. For me, the band sounds best with the sweeter, lighter, melodic thing that Dickey brought to go along with the grittier, heavy blues thing.

9. GTRJoe

GTRJoe Supporting Member

I doubt the ABB will continue after this year. Derek, Warren, Gregg, and Butch have kind of hinted that 2014 might be the last year of the band for a while now.
    I hate to see them go, but it might be time. 45 years is a good long run. I think it would be great for them to do one last studio album before they call it a day though.

10. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Dickie has been a great player, but Jack Pearson would eat his lunch and have leftovers for the next day.

11. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

That makes no sense.

Jack Pearson already played in the ABB with Dickey after Warren left to focus on Govt Mule.

12. BedroomRockStar01

BedroomRockStar01 Supporting Member

Saw Gregg two years ago in a pretty lackluster show. I hate besmirch a legend, but there's no shame in walking away at this point. Their legacy is well cemented.

13. jguitarslim

jguitarslim Silver Supporting Member

The only replacement that I can see now to save em is they have to bring back Zakk Wylde . :)

14. zep41

zep41 Member

Two years ago he was recovering from a liver transplant. Most people wouldnt be doing anything but laying in bed after that kind of surgery, but Gregg was out playing just a couple months after the operation.

In 2013 he was on fire and back to his old self. His vocal and keyboard playing were the best I've heard from him in decades.

15. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

It's just a band, and they're just gigs. DT and WH were wise to start solo careers 1-2 decades ago, before they entered middle age.

16. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Looks like I'm headed to Wanee this year...

17. zep41

zep41 Member

To you maybe, but to me going to see them at the Beacon in NYC every year is my vacation and something I very much look forward to annually.

There is nothing like seeing the ABB at the Beacon.

18. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

I think their musicianship would be easy to replace - much easier than for many other acts - their "names" and presence, less so. There are so many really good guitarists who can cover Duane's and Dickie's parts. My late great friend, Ray Penney of Great Caesar's Ghost, himself could have showed up the night before and fit in seamlessly. The real issue is the age of everyone else now. It's time. And why I'm so excited to be catching Bob Weir and Ratdog with Kimock here next month. It won't last forever.

My first ABB show, BTW, is now available on CD: http://www.allmusic.com/album/nassau-coliseum-uniondale-ny-5-1-73-mw0001036670

19. 3 Mile Stone

3 Mile Stone Silver Supporting Member

Long live The Allman Brothers Band!

:beer

20. Ricky_Rockhardo

Ricky_Rockhardo Member

I nominate Marc Ford and Leroy Parnell as the replacements!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014