Derek Trucks and speaker break up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MikeNiteRail, Apr 12, 2008.

1. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

So how much of what I hear from him is speaker break up? I am not sure of the difference between speaker break up and the tubes just running really hot. I'd read that his speakers are supposed to have a lot of break up, but don't understand the impact of them.

2. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

He uses Pyle drivers in his Super which are discontinued, but Weber has a clone of them reported to be inferior to the originals. The Pyle Driver breakup is credited with giving Trucks his unique distortion tone.

3. joolzriff

joolzriff Member

he should sort his wardrobe out before his speakers,i saw derek play w/ clapton at that chitown crossroads,didnt even make an effort to dress decent

4. whoofnagle

whoofnagle Member

LOL :hiP

5. EelEye

EelEye Gold Supporting Member

That's too bad, I heard they had been together for a long time...:rotflmao

6. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

Bump!

I picked up an Old Flame 2x10 and am curious about my original post as well as any suggestions for 10" speakers with good break up at mid to large size stages. Mostly I play mid sized clubs, but on a big stage/outside, I don't want the amp crapping out.

Thanks!

7. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Derek always wears the flannel shirt , jeans, ponytail, his younger drummer brother Duane who plays with Eric Steckel, same hair, etc. - time for the extreme makover LOL

8. blues junkie

blues junkie Supporting Member

I guess when you have those kinda chops you can dress ANY WAY YOU WANT.:AOK

9. kramerxxx

kramerxxx Member

I recently bought a pair of these 10" speakers and I LOVE the tone of them. I put them in a Hot Cat combo, (replaced the stock English made G35-10Ls that were in it).

I only have a few hours on them and they sound fantastic. I can only assume that they are going to get much better when they are fully broken in.

10. rhythmeister

rhythmeister Member

Well having seen him live and standing about 20 feet from his amp, I have to say that he plays Super (excuse pun) loud!!! There is no doubt that he is seriously pushing that 40W amp. I've seen him use a plexiglass shield in front of his amp to avoid killing the front few rows. I don't think you are ever going to replicate his tone unless you are prepared to crank your amp waaaaay up.

Cheers,
    Blair

11. Vaachek

Vaachek Member

When I'm listening to those sweet tones, his attire never enters my mind!

12. John Carson

John Carson Supporting Member

His look and overall vibe is definitely circa 1969.. Ever see pics of Duane from that era?
    Scary similar!
    I don't think Duane was too concerned with the show either, he was all about the music!

13. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

Which speakers......the Webers?

14. Snottyboy

Snottyboy Member

What's scary is his resemblence to Gregg. :confused:

15. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

Yeah really, who the heck cares how the guy dresses? He's the best slide player I've ever seen, and one of the best soloists on guitar that I've ever seen period. I saw him with the Allman Bros. Band about 5 years ago in Tucson, and he blew Warren off the stage. I actually felt bad for Mr. Haynes, because he's a fine player and a great rock/ blues singer...but I was there, and Derek just had so many great ideas flowing out of him with great tone to boot. Derek's RH muting is fantastic...one of the keys to slide. I actually learned a ton from the kid, and he inspired me to get serious about my own slide playing. Thank you Mr. Trucks!

16. thorny64

thorny64 Supporting Member

The title of his post was Weber DT10s, so I expect he meant the Webers. I have NOT had either the Webers or the actual Pyle version (that I know of). I don't think the deal is so much that the Pyles distort more (someone with more hands-on experience can correct me) but it is really more likely the factor the speakers are NOT EFFICIENT. Therefore you have to turn the amp up more to get it to have the same volume and loudness that a more efficient speaker would provide. Pyles were cheap speakers that handled a lot of watts. Someone fried the original speakers in the Super (maybe even Derek) and then they chucked in some not-so-great inefficient Pyles because they were cheap, available, and handled more watts. There you go - a "happy accident" of tone. Derrek gets used to how the amp operates and it becomes part of his signature tone (never mind Derek could sound amazing playing through an old SS Crate). Weber gets asked replicate these inefficient speakers and reportedly he is pretty close after several tries early on.

I am making assumptions here. But it is based upon my experience as a player and an amp tech. I compared my Super Reverb (a 66 that at the moment has Webers version of P10Rs in it - actually a bit more effiecient than real P10Rs) and it is louder than the same amp with old CTS Alnicos. The old CTS Alnicos sound better to me, although the amp has to be turned up a bit more the end result is some big fat tone. Arguably, there is more speaker breakup in the P10Rs (lower wattage, non-ribbed "crunchy" cones) but the CTS's sound better and different to me in this amp, and the amp is turned up maybe a whole number higher with the CTSs (lets say the amp at 6 with the CTSs is about as loud as the amp at 5 with the Weber version of the P10R/10A100s).

Does any of this make sense? I swear it did in my head, but it is 12:30am and I am rambling on and on... :) forgive me! Time to get some sleep. :NUTS

17. karmadave

karmadave Member

Derek's tone is a combination of things. Amp, speakers, amp settings, his attack, not to mention his guitar and pickups. I've heard him say, in interviews, that he is trying to get a 'vocal-like' quality from his guitar. He seems to have found his own sound and style that's for sure. He was definitely influenced by Duane Allman, but he is by no means a clone.

As for what he wears on stage, he wears whatever he's comfortable in. Derek is musician, not a performer. He's trying to get a musical statement across, not run around and pose like a rockstar. Reminds me of how Jazz players mostly just stand and play their instruments. The music is all that really matters.

That's my $.02...

-KD

18. Maruuk

Maruuk Member

I'm amazed he can get so much deep OD out of a Super, even with the relatively hot HBs. Those Pyle Drivers breaking up early must be an important part of that.

Reportedly Trucks blew out his originals and out of sheer desperation his roadie located 4 of these Pyles at some auto stereo store at the last minute before a gig and just threw em in there hoping for the best. Then when his amp got stolen recently they put out a plea for the same discontinued Pyles and some guy had 4 extras and sent em over for free. He claims he never even got a thank you.

19. MikeNiteRail

MikeNiteRail Member

As the original poster, I would like to clarify that I don't care what he wears. ;)

I am not even saying I want to sound just like him. I am just curious about ten inch speakers that will break up a bit in a Super Reverb type amp. Technically, my amp is 40W and 2x10...I'll have it this week. I am wondering what is out there. It has Ragin Cajuns in it now, but I don't think they'll be my bag.

So I am just looking for 10" options for an amp that probably won't get to be cranked all the time. So super efficient high wattage speakers aren't going to be my bag.

I was thinking of one Weber CTS Alnico and one Ceramic. I would love any other feedback...these my even be too low watt for this amp as a 2x10.

20. Roe

Roe Member

doesn't he use sd pups? seth lovers or antiquity?