Derek Trucks Gospel Slide Licks

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by dtb720, Dec 6, 2017.

1. dtb720

dtb720 Member

So I’m mostly looking at his call and response, or more accurately when he is mimicking the singer’s lines. And then maybe on some ‘intro’ type parts (think ‘Bound For Glory’).

Are these mostly major scale lines? I know that most of the sound is in the implied tones, microtonal sounds, etc.. But what is a good starting point scale wise? I have been faking it with either major or minor pentatonics, but not quite getting there. Thanks, as usual.

2. clayt0n

clayt0n Member

mixolydian, lydian, and phrygian modes - and a lot of slide technique that I don't have a clue about! :confused:

He takes a lot of lines from Carnatic Indian vocal music, lots of microtonal notes and flats - plus we are hearing all sorts of overtones and harmonics in those sustained notes from his amps.

3. JonnyQ

JonnyQ Silver Supporting Member

transcribe this

4. flavaham

flavaham Member

He takes tons from East Indian Classical music. Ragas and stuff. For the gospel stuff, start simple. Major pentatonic.

5. Poppa Stoppa

Poppa Stoppa Member

There’s a lot of straight down the line blues scale in the gospel sounds too. But you are right, a huge part of the attraction of DT’s playing is the gospel influence. Maybe he got that from listening to the sacred steel players.