Derek Trucks SGs

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
Has anyone else noticed the throngs of used DT SGs all over the web? What's the story, are these not as good as advertised?

Reactions: C-4

MattC

Silver Supporting Member
My buddy - a big SG fan -had one and didn't like it at all. Can't really expound on his thoughts beyond that. He now has a 2016 p90 SG and loves it.

bryan83

I'm a huge trucks fan but the fake lyre piece ruins it for me. I'm also not a fan of signature guitars for that matter.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member
I don't care for the fake lyre or the lack of a pickguard, myself. Otherwise, it's basically just an SG, isn't it?

Tim Plains

I think they look great and regret not buying one locally for $1,100 Canadian. If you're seeing a lot of them for sale, my guess is people figure now is a good time and they can make a few bucks.

C-4

Has anyone else noticed the throngs of used DT SGs all over the web? What's the story, are these not as good as advertised?

I ordered and received one earlier this past year. I was expecting it to be very similar to my '61 SG LP I owned long ago. The neck wasn't even close, and the rest of the guitar was just a regular production SG with maybe a bit more accenuated cutaways.
I was totally let down, and returned it immediately.

duaneflowers

My DT is the only SG I own... I slapped a set of Wizzes in it and find it perfect in every way. I like the balance the fake lyre adds to it...

fjs1962

Gold Supporting Member
I owned one for a while because I wanted a vintage style SG and it was a cheap way to get there. It was a great guitar but in the end the fake tailpiece and lack of pickguard caused me to sell mine and get something more traditional looking. And yes, I thought about adding a pickguard ant taking off the tailpiece, but I figured that would take away too much from the value.

sshan25

Silver Supporting Member
I ordered and received one earlier this past year. I was expecting it to be very similar to my '61 SG LP I owned long ago. The neck wasn't even close, and the rest of the guitar was just a regular production SG with maybe a bit more accenuated cutaways.
So, by your admission, you bought it without having played it first and assumed it was something that it turned out not to be...oh, and better bevels. Probably not the main reason for a mass unloading of DT's if there is, in fact, one going on at all.

Reactions: C-4

73Fender

Funny, I had a 61 LP/SG back in the early/mid 70s. Someone had removed the trem tail piece and installed a regular one and had also installed metal Grovers. Then this thing popped up on my local CL, an exact copy of the modded one I bought on 48th st NYC back in the day..a limited run from GC around 2007 or so, nice fat neck, and a great price as it had no COA. From what I recall, it's better than my original one.

C-4

So, by your admission, you bought it without having played it first and assumed it was something that it turned out not to be...oh, and better bevels. Probably not the main reason for a mass unloading of DT's if there is, in fact, one going on at all.

I live in an area where none of the better products for musical gear are ever within reach, so 100% of what I buy must be done on line.

Lewguitar

Curious about what value pots are used in the DT SG?

Are they 500K for all four?

The pickups are 57 Classics...right?

Derek sure sounds great playing his. But that tone must not be for everyone.

Bossanova

Gold Supporting Member
Curious about what value pots are used in the DT SG?

Are they 500K for all four?

The pickups are 57 Classics...right?

Derek sure sounds great playing his. But that tone must not be for everyone.
Yes, 57s. I'm almost certain they use 500k audio taper but I've seen pots drift all the way down to 396(!) so who knows.

sshan25

Silver Supporting Member
I live in an area where none of the better products for musical gear are ever within reach, so 100% of what I buy must be done on line.
I wasn't implying that you were incorrect in any way with your assessment of your guitar. The DT didn't work for you and I get that. From what I've read in this post, there's nothing inherently wrong with the DT that would cause a mass episode of flipping them. I used your experience mainly as a way to counter the OP's premise.

Trending Topics