• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Derek Trucks Songslines Live DVD. WOW!!

Frank Prince

Silver Supporting Member
I just picked this up tonight and am a couple of songs into it. Holy ****, this guy is GREAT!

I have seen and heard only little bits and pieces of this guy playing with others. Allman's, Clapton, Jimmy Herring, etc. I knew he was good, but this DVD with his own band is at a whole different level.

What a touch he has! Killer, pure tones and great lines with an old Gibson SG, a slide, and an amp. Absolutely chilling tones and playing.

Unlike some other young, famous, look-at-me guitar players I could mention, this guy is clearly the centerpiece of the band without needing to be the lead singer or make goofy faces or awkward speeches to the audience. He just stands there, and the music pours out. So many influences in his playing, and just a fabulous touch.

Outstanding band as well. Great players all, and very tight and grooving at all times.

One thing I notice just a couple of songs in is that these guys use extreme dynamics and tempo changes just as freely and often as rhythmic and harmonic devices. Also, even though DT is the centerpiece of the band, it is clearly a BAND effort, and it is pretty obvious to me that everyone is intent on serving the songs.

This is the best 13 bucks I have spent in a while. I am officially a fan. :AOK

Last edited:

DiazDude

I tell people he's like Coltrane on guitar. Get his new CD...just came out last month. Hell get em all!! ;)

Blue Bee

I've seen them a bunch of times. I've gotten to know Todd his bassist over the years..he's a hoot.
dereks one of my favorites, seen him like 4 times (1st time w/ allmans '98, 2nd opening for E.Johnson, 3rd time was when mike was guesting, 4th w/ full vocalized band .

last year they came to hawaii and i got to work the door. got to meet the whole band (+susan) and hang w/ todd and mike for a bit. and yes i shook dereks hand!

PedalFreak

Silver Supporting Member
Trucks is awesome, but he is SO BORING to watch live. Great player but no stage presence. That doesnt mean that I'm not going to go see him whenever he is around :D

Frank Prince

Silver Supporting Member
Trucks is awesome, but he is SO BORING to watch live. Great player but no stage presence. That doesnt mean that I'm not going to go see him whenever he is around :D
Personally, I think if the guy was making a lot of silly faces and pogoing around it would distract me from the music, but that's just me. The only thing about Derek that I looked at on this DVD were his hands, and I thought they had PLENTY of stage presence. ;)

DiazDude

I forgot I had this pic of Todd & me @ 10klf after their set & some libations.

About 2am walking around checking out other bands..Rico their drummer snapped the pic.

Goldstrat

He is a rare talent and I'll take boring stage presence and that kind of musical talent every time over a stage show with no music. Gilmour is pretty boring on the stage also but he let's his music talk.

Trending Topics