Derek Trucks vs. Duane Allman: Slide Guitar

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by JMarck, Aug 31, 2006.

Who is better? Duane or Derek?

1. Duane Allman

2. Derek Trucks

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JMarck

JMarck Member

Who is better?

2. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

Duane's dead, so he don't play so good no more. ;)

Derek wasn't born back then, so we can't really have a battle of the bands.

Being older has a unique vantage point. I saw what music was at the time that the ABB was formed, and saw the evolution of rock and a new genre of music. It's easy to look back in time and see the commonality, but eye opening to be there at the time and witness the arrival of something new and watch it spread.

I doubt Derek would be playing the way he does if Duane hadn't led the way.

That said, sometimes I feel like Derek *is* Duane, reincarnate.

Prototypically speaking, The ABB were the beginning of the second coming of American Made Blues music, and were the start of the whole "Southern Rock" genre. In many ways, Southern Rock has also had a huge effect on Country Music, especially what is termed as "crossover" between Country and Pop music.

Phil Walden recognized Duane's genius, and made the whole thing come to life.

However, IMO:

Duane <-> Derek
    as
    Jimi <->SRV

Would rock be what it is today without Jimi or Duane? What about Derek? Actually, come to think of it, I'm certain that SRV was influenced by Duane as well as Jimi since Blues was brought to the attention of many by the ABB. BTW, I'm not implying that either SRV or Derek are clones, just heavily influenced and helping to keep that style of playing alive.

As much as I appreciate and enjoy listening to Derek, he hasn't *yet* left his fingerprints on music as has Duane. He is just riding a wave that was created by his predecessors. Like Duane, though, he is indeed stretching the boundaries, he just hasn't (again, IMO) broken through them.

I also think that Duane and Derek were/are highly evolved beings, as exhibited by their playing and words.

But, I pick Duane. I can't imagine what he'd be playing today had he survived.

-jm

3. will132

will132 Member

Good way of putting it. I looked at that question for about ten minutes and just couldn't come to picking one over the other.

Derek's last album is great though.

Jim

4. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

Songlines is excellent! I was a little put off at first by repeated songs from previous releases, but as soon as I listened, I changed my mind.

I don't think I'll tire of hearing "Sahib Teri Bandi - Maki Madni" regardless of how many times it appears on a CD. ;)

-jm

5. HarryJ

HarryJ Member

Love 'em both, but personally I don't see much similarity.

HJ

6. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Love them both.

7. telest

telest Member

Derek is technically far more advanced than Duane. Derek has been playing slide for 15 to 17 years give or take. Duane had only played slide for a few short years. I love Duane, and hard to say where he would have taken things. Derek has had twice the playing years that Duane had as well. It's all good, so there ya go.

Steve

8. pbradt

pbradt Senior Member

Skydog. He *invented* that style of slide.

That trumps anything else in my book.

9. scottlr

scottlr Member

I went for Derek, but who knows what Duane would have done by now. Love them both!

10. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

I love 'em both, but Derek can tend to overpplay, which is points against him in my book. Love to hear him in 10 years or so.

My vote is still for Duane. But not by much.

11. JoeP

JoeP Member

Duane is the innovator.... Everyone else, is just an imitator... Skydog started it all.

And, just to keep score. Duane had been playing slide for less than 2 years when Fillmore East came out. (one of history's best live recordings).....

Derek had been playing for 10 years before he ever released his first album.

12. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

Who is better? Or who is more important?

13. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

Derek is a great player and more technical than Duane. He comes up with some amazing riffs,that Duane in his few short years hadn't yet explored.As for tone,I think Duane's tone and emotion make him the slide player to which "all" will always be compared.That say's it right there.

14. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Derek's a far better player than Duane was. Best vocal style phrasing I've ever heard out of a guitar player...Don't dig his 'dirty' tone much, I think it takes away from his dynamics a bit.

That said, Duane can surely bring you to tears, too....He was a bit better at knowing when not to play. Check out his rendition of "Going Down Slow". It's beautiful. Duane on vocals.

15. trucks

trucks Member

Guess who I voted for?! We do have the same last name. ;)

16. scottlr

scottlr Member

:) Not a bad name to have ;)

17. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Woah that's crazy! You're last name is Allman but your screen name is trucks. pretty cool!

jk :crazy

18. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

It's an ignorant question IMO. I don't understand why everything has to be ranked -- or have absolute terms like better and best applied to it. What's the point?

19. Tallhorses

Tallhorses Member

Tough one... I really dig DTB but Duane is Duane. I could go with jm's opinion.

20. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

There's something about DT that hits me. I can't say he's better I like his playing more. That 'tear a hole in the universe' tone he has is amazing.

OK, I like Duane's sweet slow stuff more than Trucks SSS.