Describe the difference between a 6v6 and a 6L6

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by john b, Nov 21, 2007.

1. john b

john b Member

How would you describe the basic tonal characteristics of these tubes and how they differ from each other? In Fender amps, what model would run the 6v6 and which one the 6L6? Thanks for the info.

2. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    For part 2 of your question, check here. http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/

For part 1, 6L6GCs (the suffix is cricital) are 30 watt tubes, 6V6GTs 12 watt tubes.

6V6s break up at lower volumes due to their lower power rating and the amps they are used in. Beyond that, tonal difference vary by brand.

3. john b

john b Member

Thanks for the info Mike, greatly appreciated!

4. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

So then I can pull my 6L6's in my Super Sonic and add 6V6's to lower the overall volume?...do I have to re-bias then?

5. bunuel

bunuel Member

I'm also interested in whether it's ok to substitute 6L6s in for 6v6s in an amp that designed to run on 6v6s. I've been told it's ok, as long as they're properly biased & gotta admit I like the sound the 6L6 serve up, but am wondering if this is really ok for the amp given the power differences. Thanks in advance for help on this front!

6. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yes . I just did this with my Chubster. You will need to re bias. The range in my Chubster made is easy. Mike (KCA )was very helpful-thanks Mike. Dialed them in at about 21 ma Pretty cool but I didnt need to reduce volume. Eventually I went back to E34L's.Bob

7. Bloozman

Bloozman Member

Thanks!!

8. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

Whether you can successfully trade between 6L6 and 6V6 depends a lot on the brand of tubes and the amplifier you're doing it to. 6L6GC are rated for 500VDC on the plates and 450VDC on the screens. 6V6GT are rated 350VDC and 315VDC (though NOS and current production JJ 6V6 will tolerate significantly more). A pair of 6L6GC typically expect to see about 5K plate-to-plate impedance while a pair of 6V6GT expect to see around 8K. A 6L6GC draws twice the heater current (.9A) that a 6V6GT does (.45A). Both also expect to see very different bias voltages and a particular amp may not be able to adjust, as-is, to accommodate both.

So, "can you do it"? As many have proven "yes", though the result may not be quite what you want and may not be as reliable (e.g. the 6V6GT may not last as long, your PT may not last as long, etc.).

9. rockon1

rockon1 Member

A more knowledgable answer! I shouldnt be so quick to say-yes. I forgot to mention I used JJ's which I know are more robust than other 6V6 types.
    I figured that the 6V6 drawing less heater current wouldnt be a problem? Not that Im going to run them but drawing less heater curreent can be bad for your PT? Bob

10. jjasilli

jjasilli Member

11. Wakarusa

Wakarusa Member

Less heater current is not a problem at all. I just like to be careful because all too often folks will read "can I swap?" threads and assume the answers are reflexive.

12. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Got it. This place is a wonderful wealth of knowledge! I am thankful to those who took the time to answer my questions. I did do a bit of enquiring before trying anything and would advise anyone else to utilize the knowledge on this board before attempting anything!
    :BEERThanks Bob