Describe these specific kinds of delays and pedals that do them well?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Phosphenetre, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

I've been contemplating a new delay pedal, after three years with the delays in the Zoom G3, which is a great general-purpose effects toolbox, but doesn't particularly excel at anything in a 'goosebumps' sort of way.

These are a few delay sounds that I really like, mostly lead/solo delay sounds (but some vocal delay examples), that I want to get closer to being able to describe and identify -- as say, tape delay, or bucket-brigade analog delay, to help me narrow down my search and help me find the sounds I want.

I've time-stamped the links so you get right to the relevant bits.

1. This solo as whole, but especially the short ascending line around 3:46, with the delay following in the left channel, and subsequent repeats of the same melody, moving to a higher octave and the right channel later.

2. This solo in general, but especially that angelic swoop behind the bend at 3:05. Beautiful.

3. The delay on the lead vocals here, especially audible after the words 'nature', 'future' and 'shore'. Pretty warm, but there's something so delicious about the tone and texture.

4. From the same album as my second example, but in a sparser arrangement.

How would you classify or categorise these specific kinds of delays in these examples, and what are some good 'archetype' pedals for these sounds (not counting delay workstations like the Timeline or Nemesis)?

2. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member

3. Bear Detective

Bear Detective Member

To me it's kind of hard to tell with everything else going on. I might not be enough of a delay expert but I'd guess any delay should get you there, especially an analog or tape style delay, the repeats don't seem to be popping out like a digital delay.

4. Phosphenetre

Phosphenetre Member