Describe what Matchless's are about

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Cropduster, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Cropduster

Cropduster Member

are they Vox-like?

Fendery? What?

I love the sound of the Chiefton but let me hear from you guys!

2. jamband

jamband Member

I can only speak for the model I own, a '94 DC30.

Most here will tell you it's got it's own thing going on. Not really fender like, though you can coax a little bit of that sparkle in the 1st channel. I guess it's got more of a vox thing going on, but with a little more grind and presence, at least to me. Cuts through a mix (without being harsh) like no other amp i've owned.

Mark Sampson first designed the amp after fixing a ton of old AC30's and decided to make his own spin on one that was didn't have the reliability issues. It's built like a tank, I can testify to that.

You'd have to play a few in person to know if it's for you. Some people get it, while others don't see what the fuss is about.

3. whaiyun

whaiyun Member

I'm interested in owning my own C-30 in the future. I hear its built like a tank and even the screws are stainless steel?

4. skunx

skunx Member

A matchless independance is one of the best sounding amps I have ever heard live but have not had the pleasure to play one.

5. Tapp

Tapp Member

I have a '93 SC30. It's truly an amazing work of art inside and out. Very classy looking on the outside, heavy well built cabinet, and indestructable point to point wiring. All the components in mine are top notch high rated. Most all of the resistors and signal caps have tubing around the leads; I've never seen that in another amp. It's got an organic quality of tone to it, but it's not quite as raunchy as a vintage Vox. It's a little more refined, if that makes sense? Definitely in the Vox "cut thru the mix" camp though.

6. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

Those amps will be around for a long long while. They are indeed built to last. (I have a '96 HC-30)

7. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

I believe the Chiefton is supposed to be more Marshall-y

8. antbosca

antbosca Member

The early models had mostly Vox-type DNA, but they make a lot of different amps now. When I think Matchless in general I think:

detailed, some would call this 3 dimensional
    feels "fast" and powerful, they don't back down and don't sag
    revealing, lots of high end content that reproduces your exquisite technique, or not

9. guitarcapo

guitarcapo Senior Member

The ones I've played sound bright and shimmery.The thing is that usually when you have an amp that sounds like that, it doesn't overdrive well. Matchless amps can do the pristine shimmery clean sound but they overdrive with smooth authority.
    The ones I'm most familiar with are the simpler ones like the Lightning and Spitfire.
    The master volume is very transparent and useful and doesn't kill tone. I think this is mainly because of the way it is set up AFTER the phase inverter different that most amps. The basic sound is EL84 with high plate voltage. It's a very distinctive sound you might like or might consider too bright. Forget about Marshall crunch and metal.
    Seems more of an English artsy sound.

10. bobcs71

bobcs71 Member

:agree I've used several Matchless amps. I'd have to say they are closest to a Vox but definitely different. I never quite bonded with their clean sounds. IMO the overdrive from a Matchless is to die for! If you're thinking about one definitely try one out. Matchless has a good rep for a reason.

11. rushcentrale

rushcentrale Member

i'm the opposite. ...not that i don't like matchless amps' dirt. i just prefer their cleans.

12. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW) Gold Supporting Member

I had a Chieftain head for a few weeks, but I couldn't bond with it. The cleans were nice, but not as nice as the cleans I can get with my good ol' Super17, even (much less the 30, which I got after I sold the Matchless).

As for dirt, it (obviously) doesn't replace my Mesa, which it isn't designed to, anyway. Compared to my Bogner Ecstasy 20th Anni, my Bogner was just more full, open, raw -- which I preferred.

All of this was heard through my Bogner cab HIWATT/Fane cab.

Bottom line for me: the Matchless didn't do anything my Goodsell(s) and Bogner can't, and both beat the Chieftain in my humble opinion, and with my tastes/preferences.

13. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

I owned a Chieftain 1x12 for about two weeks a few years ago. Didn't like it. For "my sound," my BF Fenders killed it. I thought it was kinda flat sounding and dull.

In the mid-90's, however, I had a Clubman head that I would run through a Marshall 4x12. THAT amp was one the greatest I've ever owned!

"The ones I've played sound bright and shimmery ..." as mentioned above, is exactly how I remembered it. Really huge sound with a massive punch. Reminded me of the Reeves Hiwatt copies that I often use now, but different enough to have it's own personality.

A Clubman is a great amp!