Designed a guitar, now I'm going to protect it

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by BeeTL, May 13, 2009.

1. treeofpain

treeofpain Silver Supporting Member

2. Nuclearfishin

Nuclearfishin Supporting Member

Just an observation here, but put a can opener headstock on an EVH Wolfgang guitar and people can't stop saying how much they hate it, remove Eddie's name from the guitar and people are loving the can opener headstock. What gives?

3. guitardude5

guitardude5 Member

I never really thought about the entire patent or trademark process. Best of luck to you on your new venture!

Some folks say can opener. When I saw it, it reminded me of a sock puppet. Maybe a sock puppet with a bottle?
    [​IMG]

4. bsuite

bsuite Supporting Member

cool, keep at it, you'll eventually hit on something.

5. brain21

brain21 Member

A big part of the price of a patent atty is the cost of doing the exhaustive patent search. It's not like a trademark search! Also, the forms can be complex for a utility patent, getting someone to draw the necessary schematics if you can't do it yourself can be very expensive, etc. Therefore I would think that a design patent atty's fees would be considerably less than the fees for a utility patent. I know you are not going to pursue it, but just for education in this thread:

"Design patents are only granted if the design is novel and not obvious for all items, even those of different utility than the patented object. An actual shield of a given shape, for example, can be cited as prior art against a design patent on a computer icon with a shield shape. The validity of design patents is not affected by whether or not the design is commercialized."

For that reason, you wouldn't have gotten the design patent, thanks to the Music Man guitar posted on the previous page.

Any attempt to apply a trademark might have passed, but you would lose if MM decided to sue you. Your design would be considered a "derivative work" regardless if you copied it from MM or not.

6. Andy J.

Andy J. Member

... not to rain on your parade, but the body shape instantly reminded me of Trev Wilkinsons' new-ish Fret-King Esprits, which are available in a few different PU and pickguard styles:

[​IMG]

7. BeeTL

BeeTL Silver Supporting Member Vendor

I thought about starting a new thread but decided to resurrect this one instead.

After reviewing the standards the guitar industry follows I have applied to register my "bottle opener" headstock design with the USPTO.

http://tarr.uspto.gov/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85237520&action=Request+Status

http://tarr.uspto.gov/tarr?regser=serial&entry=85237521&action=Request+Status

There is no question that the bottle opener headstock design distinguishes a Lowe Custom Guitar from any other brand on the US market today, and registering this design is consistent with my business goals for LCG over the long term.

I'm excited to see this process moving along...:)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  8. aman74

aman74 Member

What guitar is that in your avatar.

Good luck on this whole process!

9. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

10. jemke

jemke Member

By posting your ideas, they are in the public domain. This means you can not apply any IP on it anymore. Thanks for sharing the ideas anyway:)

11. Hippiebus

Hippiebus Member

It's like:
    [​IMG]
    Danelectro Dead On

12. BeeTL

That's a Tele/SG mashup (tentatively named SuGarSonic) I made for a friend.

http://s104.photobucket.com/albums/m199/BeeTL/?start=all

[​IMG]
    And?
    I'll be sure to pass your comments along to my attorney. :)

As a practical matter, acquiring Trademark rights REQUIRES the actual sale of a product to the public with the mark attached.

Kind of tough to do without "getting it out there".
    That's a lovely guitar.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  13. BeeTL

14. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

I was the inventor of a headstock, but Heritage stole it. After a looong legal battle, I won and they had to keep it.

15. J3F

J3F Member

This+Coffee+Desk=a mess!!!

My attorney will be sending you the bill for cleanup :)

16. Mr Deluxe

Mr Deluxe Member

Awesome :dude

17. M55ikael

M55ikael Member

Hehe. They really should do something about their headstocks. They're some of the ugliest around IMO.

18. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Member

False.

19. Lublin

Lublin Senior Member

If it actually opens beers I'll take two.

20. Cream

Cream Member

Keep in mind you have to protect your design post-patent as well. People tend to think that once you have a patent no one can use your design. They can do whatever they want. The onus is on you to sue them at that point. If you don't, the patent is considered abandoned and it's up for grabs again. It's often this legal process that incurs the most in fees. Just something to think about...

Also, FWIW, that part about posting it in public means it's public domain is rubbish. Legally, by affixing your work to a medium like print on a forum, you've just earned yourself a copyright. Now you just have to file it.