1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Desoldering

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by ChrisP, Aug 23, 2005.

1. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

NEWBIE Q:

How do I go about desoldering speaker wire from the tabs on a speaker? The speaker cable is soldered on to the speaker tabs and I want to remove said wire from said speaker.

I looked online for the Radio Shack desoldering tool and it just looks like a heat sink and some scraping tools....

It seems like you would just heat up the soldered connection until it melts and then carefully remove the speaker wire. Try to wipe off the EXTREMELY hot solder and then scrape off the rest????

Please save me from 3rd degree burns!

2. jzguitar

jzguitar Member

You can try some desoldering braid. You hold it on the solder, then touch your iron to it. When the solder begins to melt, the braid soaks it up. You can find it at Radio Shack.
    Hope this helps.

jz

3. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

Can I assume that it removes all the solder? if not, do I need to sand/scrape the remaining solder off?

seems like I can just heat up the remaining solder and wipe it off w/a towel or some such.

thanks,
    Chris

4. Reeek

Reeek Member

Look for a solder wick product. It works great as mentioned by jzguitar. It cleans your contacts of solder very well.

5. mbratch

mbratch Member

I agree with the desoldering braid/wick idea. You can pick up copper braid from Radio Shack and it works very well. You let out a couple of inches of braid, lay a portion of the end of the braid against the are to remove solder. Apply your soldering iron directly to the braid, and it will wick up the solder like magic. :)

6. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    I prefer a desoldering bulb myself. Sucks up melted solder. I also keep a small steel brush for scraping/brushing the desoldered joint before re-soldering. I wouldn't recommend trying to wipe of melted solder with a rag or towel.

7. RL in Fla

RL in Fla Member

Ditto the "solder bulb" ," solder sucker" , " Desoldering tool" , last forever , replaceable tips , top $ is about 20 , check at Mouser , Newark , etc.

Little brass wood handled brushes -> paint dept. at Home Despot ;)