desperate- ready to toss my tubescreamer.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Chris Scott, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

And all because I cannot find the info that shows you how to bypass the switching circuit in order to convert it to normal DPDT switching.

I've looked everywhere.

It's a TS-5, but it's the same as the TS-8/9 etc

I re-boxed it, hence the need for a regular switch type.

It's a GREAT old pedal, but unless somebody can show me where the diagram that Keen keeps refering to that "bypasses the jfet's", I'm just gonna throw the poor thing away, because I CANNOT FIGURE OUT HOW TO TURN IT ON AND OFF......

Help????!!!!!!!

2. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

True bypass on the TS-9 is a pain in the ass and considered to be unnecessary, which is why you're having trouble finding diagrams. Analogman says:

3. Chris Scott

Thanks Frankie,

Saw that a while ago.

You are right about the lack of info being relative to the lack of a real need for the mod in the first place. My deal is rather different in that I started with a plastic-boxed TS-5, and decided (rather lamely) to rebox it.

What a f--kin' nightmare!

Thanks anyway dude!

4. chrisr0712

chrisr0712 Member

You can put it in a Truebypass looper (small single loop) for easy on/off

5. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Here's an idea, can you replace your DPDT switch with a momentary type? That should still work the FET switcher deal, right?

6. Chris Scott

Should, but doesn't.

...something about the WAY it momentarily contacts seems to be critical. The first avenue I went down was wiring one of those in, as I at least knew that the switching medium had to be, by definition, momentary.

Works about 60% of the time- certainly not good enough.

Thanks for the idea nonetheless!

7. Chris Scott

I certainly could, but call me stubborn- I want this silly thing to work like a regular pedal. Even non- true bypass would be a GODSEND at this point....

Thanks anywho!

8. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Still got the original switch? Glue a metal cap on that and jam it in the new case.

9. Chris Scott

Yet another good idea, but there has to be a positive stop integrated in there somehow, as the original-style switch is BEYOND tiny. It was one of my first "...well, I could...." but I blew it off 'cuz I thought it wouldn't come down to that.

I might just do something along these lines though Frankie, as it seems like the closest thing yet...

10. ccrrbb

ccrrbb Member

Hey Chris,

Craig Boone here. I've misplaced your email address. (Well, my computer has, but that's a long story.)

Please write me back.

Thanks.

ccrrbb@mindspring.com

11. spentron

spentron Member

Ibanez relies on a tact switch, which "pops" bewteen positions to make a solid sudden connection. The momentary Alpha switches should work (from mouser) although having twice the actuation force and resulting noise than a 3PDT is ridiculous.

The off/on circuit can be strapped to be always on (TR2 E-C short), but even better would be to get rid of the FETs ... there are 2 and have a diode in series with one leg. You need to short the non-diode terminals on the one coming from volume, and remove the other one.