DeTemple Titanium Trem Block

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by fenderick, Jan 22, 2008.

1. fenderick

fenderick Member

I'm a vintage guy. I go for a traditional tone. I tried the Callaham block they sound good. Then I tried a DeTemple Titanium block. Now all my strats have Titanium trem blocks. I have been playing for over 30 years & touring since the early 80's. Don’t waste your time & money. Titanium is the only way to go.

2. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I have Titanium saddles on two Strats and they really lend to the ring of those guitars. I can't afford a DeTemple block, but KTS blocks are out there for less money. I've looked into Titanium bar stock to mill my own, but getting the right tooling is the trick.

3. kimock

kimock Member

On some guitars, STEEL SOUNDS BIGGER! but not all of them, so OK. . .
    Titanium is the only way to go for everything for everybody ?
    That dog don't hunt.

peace s
    k

4. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

fendrick - Maybe it sounds great to you. It might sound great to me too. Yet I'm pretty sure that all of my favorite strat sounds on legendary recordings came from guitars that did NOT have Titanium blocks.

- Jimi albums from the 60s? no titanium blocks
    - Ritchie Blackmore from the 60s and 70s? no titanium blocks
    - SRV from 70s and 80s? no titanium blocks
    - David Gilmour? no titanium blocks
    - Rory Gallagher? no titanium blocks
    - Phillip Sayce? no titanium blocks

And these are just the first guys that come to mind. Can you point to one recording that was seriously enhanced by a strat with a titanium block? I mean...man, how much better is the music gonna get from a titanium block?

5. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Got clips of both ways?

Maybe if you had more than 3 posts, you'd have more credibility on this. But this could be some spama-tanium type ad.

6. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

Especially since he posted the same thing in all 3 of his posts...

7. fenderick

fenderick Member

"Can you point to one recording that was seriously enhanced by a strat with a titanium block?"

The Titanium blocks have not been out there long.
    I really can't point out a recording that was seriously enhanced except for my work.

"Maybe if you had more than 3 posts, you'd have more credibility on this."

Yes, I'm new hear. What a great site.
    All I know is what I hear & they make my guitars sound amazing.
    I looked at the blocks for a long time & thought the blocks were pricey.
    I'm glad I took the plunge.
    I'm very happy. I have them on 2 rosewood neck strats & 1 maple neck strat.
    I do realise everyone will hear things differently.

8. fenderick

fenderick Member

Sorry for my spelling.
    I still type with one finger.

9. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

What about solid machined down brass?

10. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

Is TGP now an exclusive club? You have to strat your posts somewhere. At one time we all only had 3 posts. Not to use you in a quote saying YOU did anything bad, but come on. :messedup

11. diego

diego Member

Strat those posts hear on the geerpegs 'n don't fergit ta pruufreed... it'll meke yer opine sim mur inlightined!

12. daddyo

daddyo Guest

My strat ting has a Hipshot trem with a steel block. I'm happy. I'm a lot more worried about playing clean with no zings and clams. I know that concentrating on that area will yield more fruit then the composition of my trem block. But if you've found the tone with a titanium block, cheers to you :dude

13. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

C'mon guys. We all know titanium makes EVERYTHING better. When I was 12, I had titanium braces. Now, I can't walk through the airport metal detector without it going off and being strip searched!!!

14. Bengal B1

Bengal B1 Member

I've installed Detemple Titanium blocks and saddles in 2 strats I own, 1 is a 83 Japanese re issue 50's maple neck, and 1 is a 1984 Tokai Goldensound with a rosewood fingerboard. I feel that both guitars sustain a note with more clarity and chord note separation was greatly improved in both guitars. I'm not trying to sound like any of the artist that you've mentioned, probably cause I couldn't anyways. But for my ears my money was well spent. We all have our opinions and I think that is a good thing. All of the artist that you mentioned in there time did anything they could in the pursuit of there own tone. I'm sure if given the options that we all have in this day and age Jimi, Stevie, Richie etc would be trying the titanium.

15. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Well...like you said, you can believe whatever you want. It's really easy to assign thoughts to other people. Especially if they're dead. But personally, I suspect it's more likely that something like this is going on.

16. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

Titannium blocks do make a difference. I have the block on my DeTemple Strat, and I put one on a CS Relic and like the difference it made to that guitar also. But we all have different tastes and the livelier/crisper sound may not appeal to everyone, especially those that use high gain amps. For the cleaner or edge of distortion tones I would highly recommend them over steel blocks.

17. rooster

rooster Member

I machined a tremolo once with a tool steel block, a bit thicker than normal, with a brass bridge. Sounds unbelievable.

rooster.

18. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Unfortunate choice of words? Deliberate?
    The internet is so amusing.

Titanium is not nearly as exotic as it used to be when it was used in real racing cars, etc....then the rarest of golf clubs and medical thingies...now in cheap golf clubs, and such.
    If graphite was still cool, I bet it would be in trem blocks now.
    What we need is a NEW exotic to enhance tone.
    Unbelievable. Indeed.:eek:

19. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Just so that you know, Detemple does not make any of his hardware.

His Ti block and saddles are made by KTS, the only manufacturer making Ti guitar parts, AFAIK.

http://www.kts-america.com/

There are other places selling KTS parts at bigger discount.

20. theoneafter909

theoneafter909 Member

I just listed a new DeTemple Titannium block here for sale that I never got around to using if anyone needs one at nice price.