Determining pickup winding direction

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Sutremaine, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Sutremaine

Sutremaine Member

Hi!

As the title says, I need some help in determining exactly how this particular pickup is wired.

----------
    The mystery pickup is a two-conducter Jackson (neck) I bought off Ebay. The hot lead to the South coil is white, the coil connector is brown, the ground lead to the North coil is black, and the wire braid connects to the case and the black wire.

As for the physical windings, the South coil is set up as follows:

Hot lead goes to the copper winding next to the magnet.
    Coil connect lead goes to the copper winding on the outside, which runs clockwise as it disappears between the two coils.

I decided not to touch the North coil's last layer of tape, and I assume that the two bobbins were physically wound in the same direction.

----------
    The other two pickups have more info available. The BKP Warpig is wound AC (I asked), and the DiMarzio Air Norton S should be wound AC (based on this)

Based on the above info, is the Jackson wound AC?

Thanks.

2. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

I can't help with your query, but I am curious...why is it important?

It's an honest question, nothing pejorative or leading.

3. Sutremaine

Sutremaine Member

I'd like to know before I start fiddling with wires again. The wiring setup is quite complicated, and knowing the physical setup of the pickups would help in hashing things out on a piece of paper. I've been giving myself a crash course in wiring, and most of the questions I have are answerable by plenty of Googling.

If I could lay out the polarities, current directions, and wiring colours of both the pickups, I'd be able to work it out from the ground up or at least keep better notes of what happens with what wiring.

4. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

i suppose you'd have to check with a magnet to find which coil was the same magnetic polarity as a known coil, then wire said coil up along with the known coil to see which direction with the wires resulted in the same output polarity.

i test this with a tuning fork and a strobe tuner: