1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Determining the price of a modded DMM...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyK, Mar 14, 2006.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

I've got a DMM modded by Howard Davis that I may put up for sale. It's got the TL072 and input headroom mods that cost about $100 (with shipping, etc.). It's dead mint with paperwork, box, etc.

I really can't research the price of this pedal, as there are not lots of Howard Davis' modded DMM's on the market. I paid $225 for the pedal and with the mods I've got $325 invested.

What's a fair price?

BTW: I reserve the right not to sell this! I am just considering!!

2. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Well I typically see DMMs in good shape going for $150 or so...I'd say with the mods that $225-$250 is good for both parties.

3. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks Phish.
    -bk

4. Sebastian

Sebastian Supporting Member

I sold the same pedal with the same mods and took a bath. I hate to say it, but the mods really don't add much value to the pedal in the eyes of the marketplace--that was my experience. Believe me, I wanted more value there!

Despite some heavy marketing, I sold mine for under $200.

5. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Hmm...maybe on ebay with a bunch of hype like "Modded by the original designer, rare, etc etc"...nothing that isn't true you know, just really selling the product.

6. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Sorry to hear of your experience! For me, I'd rather keep it than take a bath. Thanks for the info/warning!!

7. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Any other thoughts?

8. Craise

Craise Member

Yeah:eek:
    Why are you selling it? I've been checking out this mod for a while. Sounds
    like it would make for the ultimate DMM. What's knocking it off your board?
    As for how to sell it... Is there a EH fourm? I would think you could get $275 for it if it's new...with box, papers and Mod. State your price and stick to it for a couple of weeks, If you aren't in a hurry to sell.
    :BluesBros

9. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

It is the ultimate DMM IMO, but I have gone to the other side, using a digital (though very warm!) EchoTap. I posted recently about keeping gear around, and I've determined that if am not using it, I think I'd prefer to sell it.

I like the sound of getting back at least some of my investment, while still saving a buyer some bucks as well. I am getting a pretty good feel for a price point.

Thanks!

10. Howard Davis

Howard Davis Member

I have on occasion sold modded and reconditioned EH pedals. I don't gamble with ebay, but just post what I have available to forums such as this, alt.guitar.effects., etc. There have been times I waited months for a buyer, but I've never had to let something go at a loss. Patience pays. A like-new DMM with a custom mod or two is worth far more than the retail price of a new factory unit - it's just a matter of contacting a musician that realizes this.

Guitar pedal design engineering, repairs, and custom mods:
    http://howard.davis2.home.att.net/

11. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Sage advice Howard.
    Thanks!