Devaluation of PRS with Cracked Neck Repair?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Stan Malinowski, Oct 28, 2019.

1. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

Estimate, schmestimate.
    List it on Reverb (or somewhere) for $1600 as a PRS Hollowbody II immaculate and with a disclosed pro repair. (The pictures don't look devastating). There are zero comps for repaired HBIIs, someone will buy it. I'm not saying the community in this thread will buy it, but someone will, and be glad they saved what's really closer to $500 when you look at past sales. New USA PRS pricing is, like Gibson's & Fenders, waaaay up. Even an SE Hollowbody II, Made in Korea, is $1200.
    Oh yeah, and nuke this thread when you do.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2019
    Otter359 and Ben Furman like this.
  2. Stan Malinowski

Stan Malinowski Gold Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Reverb & its "Reverb Un-Protection" is the source of the issue.

I have removed my remaining items for sale and will be closing my Reverb Account forever.

I will no longer buy nor sell any item on Reverb.

I fully expect them to lock/suspend my account anyway.

Going forward, I will be consigning any amp or guitar locally.

jturner, Broken Diode and jiml like this.
  3. BOBBYBOO

BOBBYBOO Member

Unsellable.

4. Stan Malinowski

Why? People need to be made aware of Reverb Protection.......more so what the Seller doesn't get with RProtection.

5. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

^ I mean just so the guitar & new buyer don't get saddled with the Scarlet Letter. A manifesto on the perils of Reverb is understandable and one thing, but the future informed buyer of the piece itself doesn't need a dark cloud out there forever.

Stuff comes back like a bad penny....

Ben Furman likes this.
  6. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  7. Stan Malinowski

RESOLUTION!!!!!!!!

Reverb has FINALLY approved a One Time Only Exemption to their policy and is “Assuming” the Ownership of the guitar.

1. The guitar will be shipped directly to Reverb
    2. The guitar is now the property of Reverb and they can do whatever they like with it.
    3. Reverb will refund the buyer the full purchase price $1800 DIRECTLY and WILL NOT CHARGEBACK THE REFUND TO ME.

8. RicardoDiazHimself

RicardoDiazHimself Member

Congrats! That was the only reasonable thing to do.
    Let them see if those $300 covered the item.

Jabberwocky likes this.
  9. paulbearer

paulbearer Member

Congrats Stan...
    Watch for it in the RV scratch & dent section, or on CME w a pro repair.
    Good for you for stating a rational claim and shining a light on this legit concern and providing a real world example of this very common scenario. It’s be interesting to see how those who empathize w Reverb would handle it if on the other end! “Welp, I guess that’s the way the cookie crumbles”. Yeah, no.

exactopposite likes this.
  10. RBH

RBH Member

They did the right thing. Good on them. It's easy for Corporations to be useless ass hats - one of those scenarios where corporations are not people too - I guess , but they seemed to have made you whole on this one. I've used them for a number of years and have bought 4-5 guitars through them. So far I've had no unlucky situations.

Jayyj likes this.
  11. Stan Malinowski

This is my only bad Reverb Transaction out of the 250 or so that I have been involved in over 3 years. They actually referred to my “stellar record” on Reverb as a consideration why they decided to make this exception.

Unfortunately Reverb is not going to correct their practices to provide equal rights between buyers and sellers.

One of the most obvious inequities is that Reverb lumps Buyer Returns and Damage Claims as one. Either will give the Buyer FULL Refunds on their purchase for “not as abverstised”. A Buyer should be given a total refund if a product description is inaccurate. Reverb presently treats damaged in products claims the same as not as advertised and will try to force the seller to refund the full purchase price. They should be treated differently - Valid Not As Advertised claims should result in a full refund to the buyer after return of the item in its sold state (not damaged in transit). Items which are damaged in shipping should result be addressed as damage claims and not allow the buyer to return as a Refund.

Basically for items damaged in Transit the buyer is offered the option of a Full Refund at Sellers Expense or a cash settlement to have the item repaired. The Seller has no say in refusing to take an item damaged in shipping back as a Refund. Refunds and Damage Claims should be treated seperately and not all lumped together as Refunds.

12. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

Yeah, the problem with any large organization - not just Reverb - is usually that it's composed of a bunch of people who are just doing their job according to policies and don't have any ability to do anything other than follow policy - which is reasonable, those people need their jobs and I don't expect them to put their job on the line for me.

Glad to hear that Reverb came through on this one!

Jabberwocky and Ben Furman like this.
  13. fescue

fescue Member

Or selling it locally instead of shipping.
    Or getting better shipping insurance.
    Or paying to have it professionally packed.

14. Stan Malinowski

With an emphasis on "this time".

My settlement was "by one time exception" and I had to enlist legal help (attorney) and Consumer Protection (State of Connecticut) to get this exception.

According to my legal sources, the Buyer Protection Policy would most likely not stand up in court if challenged. The fact that the Buyer has rights to full refund at the sellers expense without allowing the Seller to accept/deny/challenge the Refund and resulting forced Chargeback to the seller.

It is interesting to note that eBay will not automatically allow a refund without the buyer AND sellers consent.

15. Fitzer

Fitzer Supporting Member

That is a total joke that they’re not reimbursing you in full like typical shipping insurance. Good to know for future transactions. Might be worth the extra cost of buying a label outside of reverb for higher value items.

16. Stan Malinowski

1) Believe it or not, Local Sales on Reverb still allow the buyer to completely inspect the item, pay for it and have up to 7 days to get a Full Refund at the Sellers Expense!
    2) Most Buyers will NOT want to pay for this type of additional insurance and most sellers would not want to absorb the additional cost
    3) Professional Packing does still NOT guarantee full reimbursement. FedEx & UPS can still limit their payout to "cost to repair". UPS has even a slicker way of getting around payout. There are multiple cases (available on line) that sellers took the guitar/amp to a "UPS Store Outlet" for Packing. "UPS Stores" are franchised and their owners & employees are NOT UPS Employees. The fine print is that UPS (meaning a UPS Employee) must pack the item. If you took it to a "UPS Store" UPS will deny responsibility and instruct you to settle it between you and the "UPS Store"!

Jabberwocky and Fitzer like this.
  17. Fitzer

Fitzer Supporting Member

This is all really good information. Thanks for doing the homework and sharing it.

Are you still going to quit reverb?

18. jbird

jbird Member

Just curious, was there significant damage to the case?

19. Stan Malinowski

Buying a label and insurance directly from FedEx & UPS still allows them the option of paying for repair of the item versus paying out the insured cost.

Reverb Policy is that "Buyer Protection" is applicable to ALL sales on Reverb. Buying a label directly from outside Reverb does NOT change this policy. The Reverb "Buyer Protection" Policy is that the Buyer can return the item for full refund at the Seller's Expense if the buyer claims the "delivered item is not as described". In the case I just went through with a guitar being damaged by UPS in transit, Reverb considered the damage to "not as described". Reverb offered the buyer 2 options: 1) Reverb pays for the repair of the cracked neck or 2) a FULL Refund at the Sellers Expense!

20. Stan Malinowski

No visible damage to the case or the packaging.

There were wood splinters inside the case though!

And yes, the strings were detuned before shipping.

As noted before I know for a fact that PRS & Tom Anderson ship their guitars without detuning.