Development of sound waves

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by alanfc, Apr 25, 2005.

1. alanfc

alanfc Member

so I have this homemade Iso-cab

and the tones I used to think were so cool now sound like fizzy crap to me

my trouble is , that in order to negate the bad effects of the box itself (lined with moving blankets and old T-shirts),
    I need to get the mic =really= close... when I turn the mic off axis to avoid the fizz, I get the sound of paper cone instead. I know for the mix I'll have to fine tune the EQ after the fact a little.,, but I'd rather get it all, good and bad, rather than try to predict whats going to work. I never know until all instruments and vocals are in.

am I cheating myself of developing sound waves?

would more absorbent material inside the cab help so I could pull the mic back a bit so I can get all the waves?

thanks

2. stratopastor

stratopastor Member

alan - sorry if this is just me being dim, but from your post I can't tell what's changed... your opinion of the sound, or the actual sound itself?

3. alanfc

alanfc Member

thanks-
    good question!

my Opinion of the sound --

thanks

4. stratopastor

stratopastor Member

er, well, I know nothing about isolation cabs, but I'm suspicious of recording something you don't like and hoping to fix it later. ..

which leads me to think about changing something in the cab until you get what you like, and then recording it. Different speaker? (What are you using now and what type of sound do you want?) add gauze to the centre dome if it's metal? rearranging the padding isn't likely to change the fizz...

The way you describe the problem, it sounds like the cab is so small that the mike is really close to the cone. As with all miking, it's not fair on the original item/instrument to focus on one small area and mike that, when the original item was designed so that we should hear sound coming off its entire area. You could try a less focussed mike (PZM?) but I _think_ speakers are intended to be heard from some way off and be allowed to 'breathe', which leads me to another idea...

how much air is in the cab, on each side of the cone? too little, and the cone is wasting energy in squeezing and releasing the air instead of creating actual sound waves. This will make for a trebly response. Maybe you could remove some padding to allow more air inside? Replace it with some other material(s) which have the same padding effect but doesn't take up so much volume? Maybe you're going to need a bigger hut, sorry, cab... you could vent it, but that'll let the sound out... vent it down a long tube with extra chambers like a car silencer (US muffler)? the real solution is probably simpler than this...

I'm just pooling my ignorance here, but the beauty of discussion pages like this is that someone who actually knows what they're talking about might show up, put me out of my misery, and actually help you!

all the best

SP

5. alanfc

alanfc Member

Yes I agree

I have a Carvin 1x12 cabinet with an Eminence v30 clone.

the box is about 31" long (L-R)
    24" Deep (front-back)
    and 24" high Top to bottom

Padding is thick moving blankets stapled to the walls of the particle board box.

this is out of necessity

since first writing this question I have come to a happy medium.
    I would like nothing more than to live in a house and have areal music room to mic things in , but its not possible.

in a new mic position now, going head-on, 1 inch from the grille. THis is working. I'm getting all the good =and = the bad.
    Facing facts, no guitar tone is going to remain pristine once voice, snare, cymbals, all compete for frequencies. Its a given that I will tweak it later. In our mixes the vocal and drums are first priority. Not the loudest necessarily, but the first priority as far as livlieness and attracting the listener.
    So on the guitar tones I get the thick low end that I will roll off later, I get the piercing hi's that I will roll off later, but the meat of the tone is good. When I roll off the bass and the highs in the tracking, the result isn't the same as rolling off freq's later.. The guitars come last in the mixing stage for us. If we were straight metal it would be different of course.

6. stratopastor

stratopastor Member

fair enough!

I enjoyed 'Noah's Ark'...

best wishes

SP

7. alanfc

alanfc Member

Hey ! thank you -
    That song is actually going to be the opener on our CD.
    In the intro we've added the sounds of a chaotic mob scene, with our bass player speaking French over it, like crowd control on a megaphone. I got the crowd noises by layering some sounds from my daughter's keyboard (!)

the CD comes out in a month or so, It'll be in my link for sure
    thanks for listening