Devi Ever effects...whats the deal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by carbz, Aug 15, 2008.

1. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Just curious as these guys make a ton of pedals mostly in the fuzz/octave family and most of them are very inexpensive. Not much talk of them here and just wondering what the scoop is?

2. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

They make great stuff for metal/hard alternative/industrial sounds, but The Gear Page tends to have more of a focus on Blues and Rock sounds.

Both The Gear Page and Devi Ever's pedals are great. They just tend to have a different focus.

3. ProGuitarShop

ProGuitarShop Member

You have a wonderful way of words. That was well said. Devi's products a fantastic, TGP is just not her demographic.

4. iaresee

iaresee Member

Another Devi Ever/Effector13 fan here. I've owned a bunch of her pedals and they're great. Most are unpredictable and sonically awesome -- especially if you're after sounds that are way left of center.

5. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Member

Really great pedals. I'd have one of each if I could!

6. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

I have 3 of them (BIT, VFM, US). They are all very unique. My personal fave is the US but I like em all. If you like nasty, mean, trashy sounds you gotta add one to your collection.

7. Turiguiliano

Turiguiliano Member

oh yeah! me too! but there's over 40 of em. if i win the lottery, id get two of each. :BEER on the house too.

8. pear gage

pear gage Member

a simple search shows plenty of mentions of her and her pedals here at tgp

9. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

I think that the D.E. stuff is the most overrated &*$% I've ever heard. Sounding terrible and calling it sonic destruction, etc is not music, and the pedals are not musical. But that's my opinion.

10. javahut

javahut Member

Don't know, but am about to find out.

Looking for something like my Fuzz Factory, but a little thicker sounding. Also trying to replace 2 for 1... my Fuzz Factory,and Studio Electronics Wolftone Helium. So I ordered a Devi Ever Rocket Fuzz. Should be here Tuesday or so. Was thinking about trying to get a Skreddy Mayo for something thicker than Fuzz Factory, but then found a clip of the Rocket, and thought the Mayo may be a little too straight ahead for my tastes. Plus, if the Rocket can get as wacky as the FF, it'll make room on my board for an Option5 DR Single... which I'm hoping can be good enough to replace my Rotosphere II for live use. Then everything will fit on my 2 boards and I won't have to carry anything separately to set up off the board. But then of course I'll want to carry my new (to me) TZF to the gig :messedup .

But hoping the Devi Ever Rocket can get thicker but be just as crazy as the FF and the Helium... or at least close. Will know in a few days.

11. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

How many D.E. pedals have you actually played through? :munch

12. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

More than I'd care to, and mostly the original series. It may be for some people, but I find it non-musical in any way. I put them up there with ring mods in real usefulness. I don't believe in do it because you can.

IMHO, I believe that you can go extreme still being musical.

13. Jason Lynn

Jason Lynn Member

I won't argue with being extreme and musical. I don't like white noise and self oscillating random feedback either (in general). All 3 pedals I have are "musical". They sound agressive but nothing like a ring mod.

It sounds like your experiences are based on the E13's with the joysticks. That's a very small section of the D.E. line.

14. iaresee

iaresee Member

No doubt they are not for everyone, but you can pull plenty of musical chaos from them: http://ian.coastpedalboards.com/sounds/rpm2008/Ian_Chesal_-_Seven_Songs_-_01_-_Intro_w_Fuzz.mp3

15. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Nah, the ring mod was for a usefulness comparison. I had tried most of the original line which was relicensed and some newer ones. The ones that I do find okay as fuzzes, I find handily beat by the skreddy offerings.

16. blood5150

blood5150 Member

I picked up the DE Bit pedal for 99 bucks and it is alot of fun... just another different sound in my arsenal... and didnt cost an arm and a leg either!

17. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Member

Effects are only as musical as their users.

Devi Ever are great effects pedals because they don't sound like every other pedal out there. They expand the palette of sounds one can work with, which is something very few effect pedal manufacturers do.

18. Lintybits

Lintybits Member

The Skreddy stuff is in a totally different league. If you take Devi stuff for what it is - mostly glitchy mis biased fuzzes - they're great. To me they're good for different textures and not so good for traditional applications. I think you miss the point if you compare them to standard stuff - they're made more to destroy tone than copy that of others.

I've got a different point of view though - I find ring mods very useful :BEER

19. Uma Floresta

Uma Floresta Senior Member

20. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

Keep sucking down the koolaid.:horse I posted an opinion, with backup, and now you're going to make it about me? Lol...

Devi Ever are terrible pedals because they don't sound good. Period. I have never seen or heard one used well, short of NIN, and that's so processed it makes SPAM look like Angus.

Sonic pallete is I guess a term you could use. In the same way plugging the input cable of your amp into your $^%& would be increasing your "sonic pallette". Different is not good.. and just because you CAN do something.. doesn't mean you should.