Devi Ever.. Rocket / Shoegazer

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Platypus, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Platypus

Platypus not in rivers, but in drops Supporting Member

Anyone compare these two pedals in person?

Here's what I'm after.. that 'wall of noise' tone but not too trebly/shrill/thin. I want a ton of bass punch to this tone.

I've got something of a fuzz obsession going.. Skreddy Mayo, ? Lady; ZVex Machine, Fuzz Factory; Octron, etc.

The Octron gets me the closest to the tone I'm after but its not raging/intense enough for the stuff I'm trying to accomplish. I dig all the pedals listed above but I find them to be not potent enough in the mix without having a bass guitar in the mix to anchor some of the low end for me. I want something that's easy to create massive walls of noise and fuzz at low volumes.

So I found the two pedals mentioned in my title and I love the clips of each. It sounds like there's a lot of overlap there. The Shoegazer sounds like it'd be up my alley but I can see it having the same issue with low end based on the clips. It does the MBV thing exceptionally well but when I listen to the Rocket it sounds like all the bass I'm missing... I just don't want to get it and have it be too similar to the Mayo. Does that make sense?

I am looking for something similar to Silversun Pickups tone but a bit more spastic and wild, more shoegazy and more oceans of feedback/fuzz yet still remaining musical.

Thanks for any comments.

2. seiko

seiko Member

Haven't played the SG but have played the Rocket and think it would fit what you want. My concern was actually the opposite of yours. I was worried that the Rocket would have trouble cutting through in a two loud guitar band because it wasn't bright enough.

3. Platypus

Yeah, this is more for personal playing so I'm not concerned about cutting through, I have plenty of pedals that do that with razor sharp accuracy.

Thanks for the insight on the Rocket.

4. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

5. Platypus

Thanks for the suggestion LowWatt, I'll check it out.

6. seiko

seiko Member

In which case, give the Rocket a try, the fuzz is cool and you can get a nasty octave up and fuzz-trem sounds too, it's fun.

7. Platypus

I've read the gate on the Rocket prevents it from feeding back.. is that true in your experience? That's the one thing that keeps drawing me to look at the shoegazer; I want effortless walls of noise.

8. Platypus

Bump for more info.. I'm very interested in the Shoegazer at this point.

9. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

heh... if you've watched the craptacular Shoe Gazer demo thats on youtube and Devi's site... thats me ;)

Its a really incredible pedal imo, its got sustain and growl and bite for days. Its based on the old Effector 13 Torn's Peaker and SodaMeiser, whereas the Rocket is a Vintage Fuzz Master & SodaMeiser. I much prefer the Torn's, and while the Rocket can do all sorts of crazy oscillation & wierd tremolo type stuff that I don't think any other pedal out there can do, the SG is just pure hardcore nastyness. if its "wall of sound" you're looking for it'll do it with a lot more balls than the Rocket will, altho the Rocket can still do it.

my bottom line take--

SG - Heavier, thrashier, more stable sort of sound... if you find your sweet spots it can be a set & forget pedal

Rocket - not quite as ballsy, lots of strange octave/osccilation wierdness, sometimes difficult to control but also extremely versatile.

two very different pedals but very cool for what they do.

Look at the White Spider too. Its like a SG w/o the SodaMeiser but with more oscillation type options. I may wind up replacing my SG with one simply because I don't actually use the second channel on my SG as much as I probably would on the Spider or Rocket and the Spider is also based on the Torn's Peaker.

10. Platypus

Hahaha, awesome :AOK
    I love the part of the video when you kick in the second fuzz, your comment/face is hilarious.

So it sounds like you know what I'm after.. can the SG get real tight/bassy/sludgy when need be? I have a jazzmaster too so I'm really glad you played yours in the video and I can ask you about it. Do you use the neck circuit mostly with the pedal or does it sound good in the bridge? I imagine it would be overwhelming if you had the volume and tone dimed.

Can it nail the tone in this tune in your opinion or would the Rocket be a better match?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YvQwdGjQ5k
    (Starts at 4:18, the peak is around 4:25ish and continues until 4:50 or so)

Thanks for your comments, extremely helpful.

11. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

lol man that video was never really supposed to be out there as "the" SG demo... i did it by request 'cause somebody on the Devi boards really wanted to see the tweaking of the dials in action... i did it in 1 take or i probably would have put a little more effort into not sucking so badly, haha.

If I remember right I was using the neck pickup for the tighter bass, although the sound quality in the demo is pretty bad so i doubt you can really hear all the nuance to it. On the first channel with the texture in the 2:00-5:00 range you can get really tight bass, and the 2nd channel is alllll about "sludgy" if we're thinking about that in the same terms. It does sound really good on the bridge too but I will usually roll the tone back or else its just a little too trebley.

As for the section of Lazy Eye you were talking about (i'm a Silversun Pickups fan myself so hopefully I can answer this accurately) I'd say you probably could get that tone but my guess is there is a fair amount of post-production processing going on there, you'd need to add some compression and probably some chorus/delay/reverb to get the lead tone, 'cause to me that almost sounds like a 'gazer doing the heavy work and a pink flesh or something doing the lead line. I'm not entirely sure you can get the SG to clean up for quite that pristine a sound without some extra help, but you might be able to. It is great for leads but that section has a hi-fi quality to it that the SG doesn't quite get. I do think you're a lot more likely to get it with the SG than the Rocket though.

I'm sitting here thinking about that tone in particular... its real spendy (though less than a pink flesh) but one of my absolute favorite other pedals out there is the Himmelstrutz Fetto--I have no doubt you could get that lead tone with one of those. Its really ballsy too but its more of a distortion than a hardcore fuzz, the beauty of it though is the way it cleans up for this incredibly thick hi-fi tone. I dunno, just something to keep in mind.

Sorry if that was all a little rambly and hard to follow but I hope it helped some! Even if the SG doesn't get you *exactly* to that tone I'd still highly reccomend it--the Rocket too, but from everything you've described I think the SG is more likely to fit your needs.

If you want to hear what a much better player can do with the SG check out my buddy's soundclick page, this clip is all about the SG wall of sound--

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6826636

12. Platypus

Thank you so much for the response, it really does help. Even moreso because you've got the background for the tone I'm after and what not. I think the SG sounds like the one, I've got 3 big muff esque clones already and the SG seems like it's something different. I'll check out the soundclick page. Thanks again! I'm not really trying to copy that tone 100% or anything but just get somewhat closer than I am right now.

13. Platypus

I really dig this tone he's getting... sounds so atmospheric and ethereal.

14. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

no problem! good luck getting the tone you're after. The SG pretty much kills all the muff clones I've tried except for the absolute highest quality ones (ie: skreddy, d*a*m) but it is different enough that i wouldn't even really put it in the muff category. Its related, but its its own beast.

enjoy!

15. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

oh yeah. i think he was going for a Bardo Pond type sound with that which the SG can do very well. Also should give you a good idea of the bass this thing gets. Its freakin heavy.

16. Platypus

Just an update to this thread.. picked up a Shoegazer and I am immensely pleased with it. It's a great musical fuzz with the one side enabled but when both kick in and with a nice analog delay it's pure noise heaven.

If anyone is interested in the tones I mentioned in my OP, definitely check out the Shoegazer. It's not as bassy as the mayo but it's definitely its own beast.