Devi ever yea or nay?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by kev1n, Feb 23, 2012.

1. kev1n

kev1n Member

Demo sound AWESOME, what do you guys think?

2. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

nay too much 1 trick fuzzes

Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom, Basic Audios catalog, MJM, Fulltones, good cheap stuff, especially used

good luck

3. tibbon

tibbon Member

Every time I think one of them are 1-trick though, I find another great use for them. Used an OK Stutter today on a bass recording and it was amazing. I keep a Hyperion on my board and rather like it. My main gripe is that I find her consistency to be a little odd. My friend has two Hyperions and they sound kinda different and mine sounds totally different than his. All sound good, just different.

4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I've had the pleasure of playing a few of her pedals. Quality stuff as far as I'm concerned.

5. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

She makes great, unique stuff at a reasonable price, if you like what the sound like, go for it. I find her stuff to be very interesting, it just does not work for much of what I play.

6. jb1911

jb1911 Member

Fixed it for ya.

7. telecasting

telecasting Member

Also a member here who is pretty good at being involved in conversations about her work and other fuzz pedals. I kind of like that Devi makes a load of different fuzzes which are all a little different.

8. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

When I first got into pedals I bought a lot of her stuff as all PDX shops have the whole line. Having owned at least five models I can safely say that they introduce a LOT of noise and hiss to the signal and lean way more towards the noise end then the musical end. Which, for the $99 dollars ones are fine, but I just do not understand the $200 models. Compared to something like the Fairfield Four Eyes, which is also around $200 and can be a noise-machine or very a great OD or classic fuzz, I just can't understand why anyone would buy one of the deluxe Devi models.

Even the cheap ones, IMO, don't stand up to, say, $50 more for a Hoof or SUF.

9. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

Devi Ever makes some really cool boxes, but maybe you should look into the JHS Astro Fuzz.

10. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

:nono devi rocks. she gets my vote.

11. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

I remember when Devi was Thom.

My "only one on Earth" Punch Love with my band's name and in Silver Crank graphics:
    [​IMG]

12. codetocontra

codetocontra Member

Dude, totally joking. Devi is awesome.

13. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

The proprietor (proprietress?) of Devi Ever is a "she", not "he" :)

14. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

I'm pretty sure he knew that.

15. OMTerria

OMTerria Member

I've used the Noise Floor SM and The Rocket, and if you want unique, intense, textured fuzz they're pretty impressive. If you're not into that kind of thing then obviously you'll hate it, but if you've seen the demos and are GASing pretty hard it's definitely worth trying one. On the subject of the 'one trick' stuff, it was plain to see on her website that many fell into the same categories as others. I've only tried the VFM (sorta struck me as a super charged Foxx Tone Machine and was branded as an 'octave fuzz') and SM (a tighter, more aggressive Muffy sound that can get ripping fuzz thing which was branded as either a 'gated' or 'big' fuzz) essentially, and both were very obviously different sounding. Now, the range of the VFM was not huge, but the SM could get a number of different sounds. You really have to mess with them and your guitar to get the most out of them.

It's been a while since I've had them, but I'd really like to get at least a VFM again and perhaps try out the Torns Peaker. That said, there is a lot of fuzz out there and it can be rewarding to scout around

16. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

yea, have a hyperion... which i love, replaced my NYC muff and takes up 1/8th of the space and has more sounds in it. just scored a rocket on ebay (not yet arrived). I have a heroine lifestyle on order.

Very happy with my hyperion being my only muff fuzz, if you work your volume knob there are soo many different tones. Fantastic stacker as well for some "extreme" fun.
    Her stuff is not as popular as it once was on here for whatever reason (mainstream bias, corgan thing, precieved build "issues", etc.) I get it, it does seem slightly gimmicky to sell over 30 types of fuzz. But Im glad someone is dedicated to making inexpensive and new styles of fuzz, in the US, for not allot of cash. I liked the graphics, i liked the demos, I bought the fuzz and was not dissapointed.

If you will pardon the sweeping generalization: TGP tends to... like things that are
    a) hard to get b) meticulous, exacting copies c)pretty expensive

17. jackbart1960

jackbart1960 Member

Not my thing but cool imaginative circuits. Definately lo-fi hipster stuff for the most part, if even that's a hip thing anymore. I'm not.:rotflmao
    Peace. J.J.B.

18. midwayfair

midwayfair Member

She's designed a wide range of simple, niche pieces, as well as some highly versatile boxes and even licenses circuits for other builders. AND charges less than a lot of mass producers (or, ahem, people who copy her pedals).

What's not to love about this company?

If I used a lot of fuzz, I'd probably own half a dozen Devi Evers. Starting with the Legend of Zelda pedal. :)

19. Devin

Devin Low Voltage Supporting Member

i think fuzz is THE one trick pony of guitar effects. Never hurts to have more ponies.

20. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

She used to offer kits of some of her fuzzes on ETSY