Device Control Strategies: Programming and MIDI and/or SysEx and/or...

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by ctreitzell, Sep 19, 2018.

1. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

OK! I figured out the CyberTwin now
    that means I can finish off both the TouchOSC and Midi Designer Pro 2 layouts over the weekend
    and then move on to the Lexicon PCM81 :-D

I had thought the CyberTwins required a handshake before they would process a sysex message, but the handshake isn't required...just the single parameter command is all that is required :)

MDP2 connection to computer (Win10) via WiFi took some trial and error using rtpMIDI, yet I got there in the end
    MDP2 devs seem to think their user manual covers all the bases...but, there are a lot of missing items

to dev for this kinda stuff requires a MIDI listener like MIDI-OX

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    uraniumwilly and Not Orange like this.
  2. jaykay73

jaykay73 Member

Congrats,

A MIDI listener is exactly what you need for this set of thing. Will save so much time. Just to let you know the Peavey PC1600 has a midi sysex "listener" built in. It tells you exactly which of the sysex bytes are the fixed ones and which are the variable ones. I have found this extremely useful to use to program sysex on the PCM8x. I have never needed to open the PCM8x sysex manual. If you need any help with the sysex strings / code for the Lexicon, give me a shout.

JK

Not Orange and ctreitzell like this.
  3. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

cool, man, will do
    thanks so much for the encouragement
    I was re-reading the PCM80/81 Tips and Tricks thread again this morning, too and read again your conversations with @italo re sysex and PC1600x.
    I have read through the PCM80 Midi Implementation details several times...goes into subconcious mind and I find it helpful later

4. uraniumwilly

uraniumwilly Member

Hats off to you, Todd!

Off topic: Speaking of hats, I don't know where you hang yours in France, but I was just there - in Paris, a year and a half ago. It's funny that so many of us yanks complain about French folks, yet after 2 French girlfriends and 4 visits, I have nothing but good things to say. I love the place. I fell in love with gypsy jazz there.

Not Orange likes this.
  5. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

Hey Uraniumwilly, thanks, man :)
    I am just about to test this CyberTwin MDP2 layout. To be honest, I was stuck on a silly thing: decimal to hex conversion for midi channel in the sysex parameter call string...I was converting the wrong way :-/
    Easy enough to do, I suppose. I set out yesterday to find the OMNI channel for CyberTwin (which is 0x21 or 33 decimal; CyberTwin Sysex Device ID menu displays in decimal (channel 17 through 32 and 33 is omni).

We are just an hour's drive north of Le Mans...I am a Californian, you know, most of my family is from Ukiah and currently reside mostly in Sonoma County (Santa Rosa and Petaluma)...I been to the Greek Theater a few times in my life :)

uraniumwilly and Not Orange like this.
  6. uraniumwilly

uraniumwilly Member

Happy to see a fellow Californian. There aren't that many of us around anymore - only like, 36 million. :eek:

I'm a few stone-throws west of the Greek. We can hear the concerts from our window.

Is Le Mans a place you would recommend a yank to visit? One French city on my list: Lyon.

7. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

IT'S ALIVE!!!
    so, all tested and the Midi Designer Pro 2 remote control for Fender CyberTwin (Dual) is working great =-D
    This will work with either First Edition or Second Edition CyberTwin or both. I tested with ipad connected to Win10 Pro 1709 PC via rtpMIDI software>PreSonus FireStudio Mobile routed with MIDI-OX to CyberTwin FE midi in>midi thru to CyberTwin SE midi in.

This app sends SysEx Device ID set to OMNI channel; that means no matter which Sysex Device ID is set on the CyberTwin(s) UTILITY menu; the messages will be received. In my set up all CyberTwin CC and PC traffic is set to channel 3. These midi channels and sysex device IDs can be changed by the user in MDP2.

The only things I might want to change is/are:
    1) button font...I might change it to white after using it a bit (user can change)
    2) repress a currently selected button does nothing...I'll investigate a resend on 2nd push

As promised, here are some screen shots...the film editing I haven't sorted out yet.

this is the one I find most useful after the sound/ tone is set; ported straight from TouchOSC layout
    [​IMG]

PreAmp SysEx + Amp Knobs
    [​IMG]

Reverb CC + SysEx (extra space below has supercontrollers hidden in play mode)
    [​IMG]

FX & Reverb Routing, Dynamics and Utility SysEx + Amp Knobs CC. Noise Gate Threshold knob is the only SysEx control sending variable values; all other SysEx throughout the layout is a button press. The only way I could get that variable SysEx to work without crashing the CyberTwins was "Send On Release".
    [​IMG]

FX Sysex work in progress...could lead to confusion because SE Only controls are all over the place and FE users might get confused...
    [​IMG]

FX SysEx I separated the SE controls and color coded the buttons to be more clear what is SE and what ain't
    Auto Pan Delay I spaced out as an SE only control...and I wasn't interested in redesigning the entire layout to group the SE controls better...maybe later...I mean, in use....some of these never get used...I NEVER use the Pedal Wah
    [​IMG]

a combination button pressed...the small and large FX mixers and the Master Volumes are mirrored so when you change pages, the current setting is retained
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  8. Not Orange

Not Orange Supporting Member

Wow! Great job! Very impressive, love the layout and colors.

ctreitzell likes this.
  9. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

I got my Yamaha MD-BT01 midi dongles set up this afternoon. When I tried to set them up last week, I couldn't find the app for the life of me. Today I found it in the app store on the first try. I updated the BT-01 firmware to 1.4 and renamed them to match their labelling. Yamaha obviously planned the serial numbers to be used this way.

Then I played through my 2 CyberTwins with the MDP2 controller for the first time :) for about an hour. (just my two CyberTwins, no other amps) I had utterly stable performance from the BT-01 connection the entire time. That said I don't think any other bluetooth devices were on so I there wasn't any interference on the BT waves....maybe an environment full of BT and/or radio traffic is a different matter....

I also haven't tried sending different sysex messages to the SE before today and it was working flawlessly.

The thing about working with a remote like this is that every possible combination of settings is really easy to access and functionality you may have never tried out before can be explored. In particular, I have never before auditioned the various FX & Reverb Routing settings which have a subtle power I understand a bit better now. Dialling in Gated Reverb making some very nice backwards effects. Wish I had this back in 1993!

The other thing remote control like this does is Program Changes are just not required. Tweak away>find settings you want to keep>save a preset in MDP2. Then those settings (scenes) can be recalled and saved on the amps manually if you want. I did not make a single program change in my hour's noodling...and ran through all kinds of sounds. I know I been bangin on about this alot...that's cuz I find it much more effective than PC. At some point it'll be time to get recording.

Not Orange likes this.
  10. Gone Fission

Gone Fission Member

Any limitations on how many of these BT MIDI things can run simultaneously?

ctreitzell likes this.
  11. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

I have only tried one at a time, so far...and I only have two at this time...I don't know if there are bands with 10 of these...or studios with bucketz of them. I'd think in a pro studio wired would be considered more reliable.

12. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

I've been talking about using Midi Designer Pro 2 PRESETS to save settings in CyberTwin programs at a later date. There are a couple of issues to iron out:

1) I have the CTFE and CTSE controls commingled. The only differences are 19 possible sysex button presses and the CTSE HUM REDUCTION. This means only the last button push is saved in the MDP2 PRESET. If the SE preset was different than the FE; then only the SE's differing settings would included in the MDP2 PRESET and the FE would inherit the settings from how they are set in the the amp program or the last amp setting. Separating those SE-specific controls to their own page might fix this problem; figuring out how to unlatch those SE-specific selections might prove a challenge.
    2) HUM REDUCTION I haven't included in the layout, the SE-specific page can give me room to include it. In use, though, I find the FE much noisier than the SE unless FUZZ is used, which just sounds awful on the SE as far as I have experimented with it...So I haven't found a need for the HUM REDUCTION functionality on the SE so far.

13. uraniumwilly

uraniumwilly Member

Indeed. Well done.

ctreitzell likes this.
  14. ctreitzell

ctreitzell Member

I have been hung up on this "exclude one of two button groups" in MDP2 issue. I asked at MIDI Designer forum and the head Dev replied it is not possible with MDP2 as far as he is aware. Honestly, I might be the only person on the planet using this FE+SE config. The layout works great, regardless. I'll revisit this functionality if the PCM81 remote requires similar operation.