Devilles

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rocked Star, Jul 30, 2008.

1. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

Hello there. I don't post here much, however, I keep finding myself returning to Fender Hot Rod Devilles. The 4x10 especially. Are there any mods for it? How can I get the most out of this amp? I use it primarily for the cleans. I get my dirt from pedals. I'm playing a bit of rock, blues, funk, etc. Think Bramhall/Mayer on steroids. Any help would be appreciated. Thanx.

2. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Omega amps mods. You send it to them, they do the mods and return it. It will make the OD channel sing, also even a nicer clean. Reverb mods in there also help with that (though I would still love to make it footswitchable). Main thing is the OD...I didn't hate it on the stock DeVille, but I kept it really low on gain, anything else and I just couldn't use it. Now I can, and it sounds great.

There are some seperate mods also on a few sites out there...one that seems pretty easy (and worth a try) is a mod on the midrange pot, connecting wiper to one side, which makes the EQ (bass, treble, mid) work a lot better. As is, I used to have to turn bass way down...but the mod helps let the bass control bass again. After the mod, you would have the kind of EQ where if you turn it all off no (or little) sound...

3. johan

johan Member

Just crank it! They are fine amps and just because people here (cork sniffers :) ) talk about them they sound really good. One of the best tones I've heard was a blues band here in Europe with a really gifted player using a Strat through a Tweed Deville. Damn what a tone!
    Take it to a tech and let him check the tubes and bias setting etc.

4. ScioBro

ScioBro Supporting Member

Dramatic improvements with Omega amp mod.s. reasonably priced. you could easily spend more money on NOS tubes for the Deville and not get as much sonic improvement bang for the buck.

Really, really helped me to bond with my HRDx.......I mean really.

5. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Had a deville for a while, the 4x10 version, I got an amazing tone running my Mesa V-Twin pedal in the effects loop, amazing crystaline tone with infinite sustain. my problem was the amp feeding back, 60 watts is very very painful when it feeds back, I now have an HRDx, get the same tone, but the 40 watt feedback is not as painful for me as the HRDv. Also the 4x10 deville is very heavy, but it is punchier than the 2x12 I have noticed.

my HRDx is easy to move around and it does not hurt my ears, my ears hurt the whole time I had the Deville. :dude

6. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

++1. I went through a lot of 1x12 amps which couldn't hold a candle to the 4x10's I had in my Super Reverbs, until I stumbled onto the Blues Deluxe, and later Hot Rod Deluxe. This is the amp series that made me fall in love with the 1x12 sound.

7. nnick

nnick Member

I had a tweed 4x10 blues deville. The amp sounded good but only at volumes that would blow away the rest of the band.

8. mik777

mik777 Member

I did the Omega mod, trust me! its worth the $250.00. it will transform it from lifeless and flabby to an warm and blackface sounding! http://www.omegaamps.com/mods2.html

9. Mark C

Mark C Member

Another vote for Omega mods here. I've got a Deluxe 1x12 with an Eminence Cannabis Rex modded by Jim and I love it.

10. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey Rocked Star,

As a former owner of an Omega Amps modded Hot Rod Deluxe, Jim Price's Hot Rod Deluxe/Deville mod is one of the best amp mods I've owned and I regret trading that amp away. Blackface cleans, reverb & drive/more drive volume pot mod, and the drive/more drive has the Dumble overdrive tone. The best $250.00 I've ever spent.

Guitar George

11. Rocked Star

Rocked Star Member

You guys kick ass. Thanx!