Devin Townsend Project - Z2

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by M138, Nov 5, 2014.

1. M138

M138 100% Fenriz Approved

Anybody heard/pick up the latest DTP album? I gave it a first listen last night. Pretty interesting. Its a double album, disc one being one concept album, disc two being a separate and distinctly different concept album, but both are part of one larger story. Its one of those things that you really need to hear from start to finish to get the picture. I know I missed quite a bit with only one listen. It clocks in at just under two hours though, so it is a bit of a time commitment.

2. M138

Did a bit of reading on the album. Disc two is also a sequel to Ziltoid the Omniscient, which I have not heard and will now have to buy.

3. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Love DTs stuff. He's crazy good!!
    Looking forward to getting Z2.

4. M138

I'm just starting to get into his music beyond Strapping Young Lad. Really interesting stuff.

5. drjenkins

drjenkins Supporting Member

It's going to take some time to grow on me. Just didn't jump out at me like the original Ziltoid did.

But honestly, a lot of the stuff Devy had been putting out lately has kind of left me flat. Dude is an amazing talent, just not connecting with it for some reason.

6. Ivo

Ivo Member

Noice. Was going to start a thread when it came out, but didn't think many here liked Devin. I think Sky Blue (the DTP disc) is pretty damn good. The Ziltoid side is pretty fun too. Ziltoid 1 still rocks my sox, though. :D Something special about that low-key, lo-fi setup that came across as being written and recorded "by the seat of your pants" kinda thing. What a wild ride. I still have to live with Ziltoid 2 for a bit, so it may grow on me more.

Dev somewhat lost me at Deconstruction and Epicloud, but Z2 is his best release in a while. This surprised me since Devin said he was forced to write the Sky Blue side by the record label and he sounded completely wiped out from the experience in recent interviews. Apparently, Epicloud was quite popular for Dev. Thus the label only gave him the ok to record an album about a certain coffee obsessed alien if he also did another pop album. ...Seems to have taken a toll on him, but the music is solid. Hope Dev enjoys his musical hiatus after all the Z2 touring. He really deserves it. What a hard working dude and he still comes off as humble and level headed after all these years.

7. twoheadedboy

twoheadedboy Member

I heard it last week. I really love some of the songs on Dark Matters (War Princess, March of the Poozers, Z2). Blue Sky didn't do anything for me on my first listen, and I haven't bothered to listen to it again.

8. Ivo

Ivo Member

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  9. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

loved the first ziltoid.
    just picked up Z2 but haven't listened yet. I'm excited though.

10. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

DT's a lot like Zappa for me; I like all of his stuff, some more than the others of course.
    I really like how there is sort of a "DT Sound" on all of his albums.(even on P√ľnky Brewster and Casualties of Cool)
    "Accelerated Evolution" and "City"(Strapping Young Lad) are still my favorites though.

11. Ivo

Ivo Member

Oh man. Dev just accidentally melted part of the finish of his Eric Johnson strat, while trying to buff it with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound (car polish). LOL damn.

Pics here:
    https://twitter.com/dvntownsend

On the plus side:

There he is unboxing his new guitar from Framus. It has a fog machine built in + a bunch of LEDs.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  12. FPFL

FPFL Member

I agree about brilliant, but also hit and miss with the raw volume of work he puts out. Ki is a fantastic album and as a SYL fan it caught me off-guard and totally kicked my ass.

13. M138

I just bought this the other day after getting Z2. What a great album. I listened to it four times, back to back.

14. soulohio

soulohio Member

I always smile when I see Devin with Gene Hoagland pounding the skins on stage...

15. Ivo

Ivo Member

Shame there's not much interest here. I really don't want to be posting to the choir at some metal forum. I'd check my old haunt, HC, for general music forum interest/opinion, but that place is dead. Really hope Z2 does well for Devin.

16. M138

I'm listening to Z2 again and I like it more on the second pass. Sky Blue is particuarly good IMO. Dark Matters is good too, but I found that I like the first Ziltoid record more.

17. Tracer Tong

Tracer Tong Member

I'm seeing Devin one week from today. Very stoked on the show. Gotta listen to all the new material so I'll be ready for it at the show.

18. Ivo

Ivo Member

I hear ya. I feel the exact same way. Haven't listened to the second Ziltoid as much as I thought I would (since I love the first Ziltoid), but Sky Blue kicks arse.

Grats, man. Really wish I could catch a show. The Z2 tour looks to be his last big one for awhile. He's been noticeably weary from constantly working + being on the road and has mentioned his voice is getting worn out.

19. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Z2 is currently on rotation in my car.
    I like it!!(as expected)
    It lacks the immediacy of the first album, but has it's own thing going on.
    It's sort of a mix of the first Ziltoid album and "Deconstruction".
    I have a feeling that it will be one of those albums that will slowly grow
    on me.

20. Tracer Tong

Tracer Tong Member

The new album is fantastic. Show is tomorrow. STOKED!