• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

DGT or 335

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
<—— Not a rich man but lucky enough to have 3 great guitars. I bought a 63 VOS 335 earlier this year which is a really nice instrument. Lately though I’ve been getting the urge to try a DGT again. The 2020’s sounds like great instruments with some features I appreciate.

Main reason for switching would be versatility. I don’t really like switching guitars mid set and sometimes single coil sounds are great. Also the trem would be handy. But I read over and over that the 335 is one of the most versatile guitars out there...maybe I just need to be patient?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

sedawkgrep

Gold Supporting Member
I love my 335, but cannot fathom how it could ever be as versatile as a DGT. I'm not a huge DGT fan either - but the guitar was designed to cover a LOT of bases and it does so superbly.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
I have a '63 335 Memphis RI like yours. I wasn't in love with the stock pickups so I swapped them. It is a wonderful instrument which gets more than its fair share of play time. I also swapped the bridge and tailpiece to Faber locking with brass saddles.

If you want a trem on the 335, you could probably add a Bigsby.

For single coil sounds, I just went with a low wind output PAF style pickup. It is cleaner but not totally a single coil. Adding dirt is easy enough when you need it.

DGT just has two humbuckers and uses a simple push/pull coil split function, right? A 335 could also be wired to do the same with 4 conductor pickups and the right components. Regarding versatility, I have personally never found a pickup that sounds great in series and split. Sure, there are more available sounds but splits tend to sound weak/thin and noisy and series (normal) is often wound hot to compensate so you just don't have great sounds IME. You have a choice here between quality of tones and quantity of tones. And personally I find 2 lower output PAFs with the right 2-Vol-2-Tone controls with 50s wiring is a very versatile guitar with great tones. No way I would sell my 335 for a DGT. Full disclosure, I have a few LPs and a City Limits so I am set in the solid body department.

I'm going on a getaway this winter and I want to take one guitar. The 335 is the one I will probably take because it is so versatile.

But this is the way I approach selling: Sell what you don't use. After I realize I haven't played something in 6+ months, I (typically) sell it. Spend time with the 335 and figure out what it excels at. If you want a DGT, then save or fund it with stuff you don't use. Have both and spend a year playing them. Take your time figuring out which one you prefer. They are both nice instruments but they don't completely overlap. You may find you play the 335 more. So you may find you play both or you may find you reach for one over the other nearly all of the time. personally, I use both my 335 and LPs. They are different enough and I use them for different things. DGT and 335 are pretty different.

Last edited:

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
A 335 will always be my default, if I need just one guitar a 335 will be it. They're such good guitars.

I vote hang fire and save up for the other guitar. If you find yourself further down the line not playing the 335 then sure, move it on then but for now, don't lose a great 335 for a random twinkle in the eye.

Babow2

Live gigs killed here
Gold Supporting Member
I may catch all kinds of hate for this, but I’ve found that installing push/pull tone pots and wiring my pickups in series on my 335s gives me all kinds of slinkier, lighter tones ( in the vein of single coil type tones). Using all the combinations between the pickups and series/parallel options makes the 335beven more flexible. Love my Suhr pickups in my Heritage H-555.

Tim Plains

My advice is quit reading what other people think versatile guitars are. Esquires and Juniors are versatile in the right hands.

That 335 either works for you or it doesn't. If it doesn't, sell it. If it does, and you know you'll regret selling it, wait, save up and buy the PRS. Five/ten years from now, you'll be better off having both than wishing you kept the 335.

joesnewmatch

Music Is My Soul Food
Silver Supporting Member
I share Jostein's recommendation. I have a Collings I-35lc, which is very similar to a 335, but I almost never take it when playing with my band. I usually prefer having single coils at my disposal, a trem bar, and I bought this very model to have the most options available for band use, and also in the lightest package, because that's when I play the for the longest duration and this is my most versatile and lightweight guitar I have. I will also add that I had a DGT for years that I used to love it, but eventually sold when tastes changed. I found the DGT to be a little hotter and maybe more "Texas" in flavor than this current model, which is my favorite PRS at the moment.

My advice is quit reading what other people think versatile guitars are. Esquires and Juniors are versatile in the right hands.

That 335 either works for you or it doesn't. If it doesn't, sell it. If it does, and you know you'll regret selling it, wait, save up and buy the PRS. Five/ten years from now, you'll be better off having both than wishing you kept the 335.
Tim is not wrong. You can't lose having one of each (which is why I have both a I-35lc and SSH).

The bear

This is also on my radar. There happens to be one in my neck of the woods too.

Thanks for all the advice gang.
I think the PRS Special semi can do everything the DGT can plus get more stratty type sounds. Being a semi-hollow it can give you a bit of that 335 flavor too.

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
Anyone have a sense of what a Special Semi 10 top should probably sell for used?

The bear

I share Jostein's recommendation. I have a Collings I-35lc, which is very similar to a 335, but I almost never take it when playing with my band. I usually prefer having single coils at my disposal, a trem bar, and I bought this very model to have the most options available for band use, and also in the lightest package, because that's when I play the for the longest duration and this is my most versatile and lightweight guitar I have. I will also add that I had a DGT for years that I used to love it, but eventually sold when tastes changed. I found the DGT to be a little hotter and maybe more "Texas" in flavor than this current model, which is my favorite PRS at the moment.

Tim is not wrong. You can't lose having one of each (which is why I have both a I-35lc and SSH).
My Collings I-35lc is my Nr.1 along with my Collings I-30 for work with my own jazz quartet and trio, for more straight ahead duo stuff I like the Collings Eastside Jazz and my Fender CS thin line tele.
For fusion stuff and pop, rock gigs and shows the PRS will be perfect. Basically covers every sound one would need. For stuff like that I like having the whammy bar too.

joesnewmatch

Music Is My Soul Food
Silver Supporting Member
Depends, but probably looking at $3600-3900 plus or minus, assuming no extra bling (artist grade, flamed neck, etc.) depending on the top and seller. They pop up in the emporium from time to time. I found mine used, but mint off Reverb last Fall. PRS owners by and large tend to baby their guitars, so keep a look out and you may find a good one!

Presc

The 335 is definitely versatile - it can sound good for a lot of styles - but it doesn’t have a lot different sounds, if that makes sense. The DGT is built to be able to approximate a bunch of different guitars in one package. 335s are a bit bulky and fragile, so the DGT also puts it in a more practical package.

Don’t get me wrong - I’d take a 335 over a DGT in the context of a collection. But it’s not my favorite gig guitar.

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
Use those knob thingies.

I do that quite well I think. Maybe my frustration is that there are one or two sounds I can’t get that I’d like to have available without losing much of what this guitar does well. I’ll play around a bit and see what I can sort out before dropping big coin on a Special.

Trending Topics