• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

DGT or 335

ProfRhino

playing both ** on a regular basis, here are a few key differences beyond the obvious stuff that have not been mentioned yet, afaics :

- the DGT has like 20% more output and treble than a typical PAF, it's meant to be played around 6 -7 on the guitar controls, the rest will act as a built-in boost
- the treble bleeds are an integral part of this concept
- the longer scale gives you more snap and twang
- and of course, the harmonic feedback of the semi body vs the trem "shimmer" of the DGT - both are cool in their own way

** not a Gibson 335, but close enough - a MIJ Tokai with Pearlies, and a MIJ Sheraton with 57/08s - both have been upgraded to 6100s.

ymmv, but I know exactly which one to pick up for any given job, they are kinda similar, but then again, they are not ... :confused
Rhino

Get an ES-345 with the veritone circuitry. You will have all the versatility you will ever need. (More than the DGT I owned)

rickt

Platinum Supporting Member
Versatility is in the player not the instrument. A good 335 is difficult to find. My advice is to keep it and simply add to the collection.

patshep

Silver Supporting Member
For me, a 335 is all I need, but I play jazz/blues mostly... I haven't played a DGT, but the DGT is probably easier to play, has a whammy bar, and split options.... I'd keep the 335 and get a CE22 used

DiAmoroso

There are different types of versatility. Some guitars, such as the PRS, are versatile because they have many sounds. Other guitars, like 335s or Teles, are versatile because the few sounds they make work for many styles.

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
Played my 335 today at church...first gig. Really need to brighten up my patches...it’s such a warm guitar.

fjblair

Gold Supporting Member
Does VOS mean vintage old stock? Doesn't make sense since it's neither vintage nor old stock. In any event, what a nice 335.

Jon C

Gold Supporting Member
my '59 Historic 335 is on par with great old ones according to the line of pro musicians I know who've played mine and want to buy it (since '01), and imo... but it's different enough from a DGT (I found a great used one several years ago) that I'd say the DGT is more of a "swiss army knife" capable guitar and is spectacular imo as a 335 variant (according to what David Grissom was aiming at). Depending on your personal taste & skill etc. you can cover a lot of the same ground but the DGT's spilt coil (very usable), etc., make it different enough that IMO it's a personal taste call depending on what you like, how it feels to you, and how it covers what you want to do musically.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
My advice is quit reading what other people think versatile guitars are. Esquires and Juniors are versatile in the right hands.

That 335 either works for you or it doesn't. If it doesn't, sell it. If it does, and you know you'll regret selling it, wait, save up and buy the PRS. Five/ten years from now, you'll be better off having both than wishing you kept the 335.
Yeah, I don't understand "versatile" and I certainly don't understand how anyone else could comment on it with respect to your needs, OP. If the 335 doesn't cut it for you, where does it fall short?

TimH

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I don't understand "versatile" and I certainly don't understand how anyone else could comment on it with respect to your needs, OP. If the 335 doesn't cut it for you, where does it fall short?
I really enjoy working my guitar for different tones so I love the 2 vol/2 tone arrangement of the 335. However, even then I don’t always have the brightness on tap I want. I play pretty exclusively with modellers and IEM’s and don’t always have enough time to dial in the tones to sit exactly where I want them in the mix. The splits on the DGT give another layer of flexibility on the fly to brighten things up and shave off some bottom and still gives me 2 volumes to blend tones on the fly. It also has a great trem which is find useful. Yes, I could Bigsby the 335 but it’s more money and certainly more of a pain to restring then as well.
With that said I still have fully decided against the 335 ‘cause it’s lovely.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
I really enjoy working my guitar for different tones so I love the 2 vol/2 tone arrangement of the 335. However, even then I don’t always have the brightness on tap I want. I play pretty exclusively with modellers and IEM’s and don’t always have enough time to dial in the tones to sit exactly where I want them in the mix. The splits on the DGT give another layer of flexibility on the fly to brighten things up and shave off some bottom and still gives me 2 volumes to blend tones on the fly. It also has a great trem which is find useful. Yes, I could Bigsby the 335 but it’s more money and certainly more of a pain to restring then as well.
With that said I still have fully decided against the 335 ‘cause it’s lovely.
You might find a little brightness is available through amp settings, a certain pedal, or perhaps higher value pots.

ProfRhino

There are different types of versatility. Some guitars, such as the PRS, are versatile because they have many sounds. Other guitars, like 335s or Teles, are versatile because the few sounds they make work for many styles.
great point ! :aok
that round goes to the DGT, as it fits both criteria.
I use mine for both kinds of music - country AND western ! :cool:
lol,
Rhino

gillman royce

Silver Supporting Member
Get an ES-345 with the veritone circuitry. You will have all the versatility you will ever need. (More than the DGT I owned)
That's another option to the coil split harness. I have both. If you're trying to dial in strat/tele tones it will depend on what pickups you go with and your ear.

Trending Topics