• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

DGT Owners: Questions on pickups, wiring, caps and tone

Brad Scott

Silver Supporting Member
I bought a used PRS DGT a couple of weeks ago, but I find that the single-coil tones are not nearly as snappy/twangy/spanky as two other DGTs I've owned in the past. All positions seem fairly dark and flat with little sparkle. Then I noticed that the previous owner had removed the treble bleed caps. Would the split-coil tones be more Stratty with the caps back in or wouldn't that make a difference in this respect?

I'm also considering changing the pickups. I like the bridge position, but it's a tad hotter than I'd like. And I would prefer a neck pickup that isn't quite as dark and sounds better split.

I suppose asking for pickup recommendations is like asking which amp is best — it's all based on personal preference. That said, the goal is vintage PAF humbucker with decent split-coil tones in Strat territory. Short list includes Lollar Imperials, Sheptones, WCRs, Bare Knuckles, Wolfetones or possibly Fralins. Not ruling out 57/08s.

Would I want a split-coil humbucker with four leads or two for best splitting capabilities with the pull-up tone knob?

Or should I just solder back in the bleed caps and be done with it? :)

smallbutmighty

Silver Supporting Member
I would put the caps back in and rock it.

If you decide to change the pickups my advice based on your requirements would be to sell the DGT's for $400, buy a pair of DiMarzio 36th's, and use the rest for a nice pedal of your choice.

jetydosa

I cant speak for the splits, but I recently put a set of Dimarzio 36th in my DGT (replacing 5708s) and I cant believe how great they sound. I actually prefer them to the 5708s. They are not as hot and twangy as the DGT pups, the highers are a bit smoother and fluid, and seem slighty "dry" if that makes sense.
I only wired them as humbucking, but I do hear good things about the 36th splits.

LJD

There should also be a pair of resistors on the push pull (coil split) grounds in the DGT wiring. That helps the split sound. If you want splitting with new pickups, you'll need 4 conductor. I like SD Antiquities, and you can't go wrong with Lollars. All of the others you listed are great, but you don't need to spend the extra cash on (say) Bare Knuckles to get that PAF sound.

Ape Factory

Put resistors back in. Explore tonal bliss. Do not swap out for Dimarzio 36th's. That's crazy talk.

Jon C

Silver Supporting Member
I"d go with back to stock & let it rip, too. No desire here to change the DGT setup.

jetydosa

Heres a clip I did (crappy iphone quality) demoing a amp for Nolatone, its with the Dimarzio 36ths. See if this is somewhat what you are looking for.

Brad Scott

Silver Supporting Member
^^^ Wow, that sounds great! Thought you were using an LP at first until the camera panned over to the goldie DGT. :)

How much of that sound is the Nolatone, though?

jetydosa

^^^ Wow, that sounds great! Thought you were using an LP at first until the camera panned over to the goldie DGT. :)

How much of that sound is the Nolatone, though?
Thanks!
The Nolatone is certainly no slouch! :) But I thought the vid might show how the 36th are a different flavor than the DGTs...similar though.

Brad Scott

Silver Supporting Member
They are "3"...they have the braid, core, and white for splits.
So if I did want to replace the DGT pickups, what type of conductors would I be looking for? Most humbucking pickups have either the standard 2 leads --- or 4 for splitting, right ... not 3 like the DGTs? I would want to get pickups with 4 conductors, I suppose?

Anyone here replace their DGTs with another brand and wire it for splitting? How did you do it? Schematics available anywhere for 4-conductor pickups wired to the standard DGT setup?

jetydosa

Youd want the 4 conductor. The 36th split, and I hear they do it well, but I haven't wired them to the push/pull yet. I figured if the humbucking tones weren't happening, no need to wire the tap yet. I will do it when I get around to it LOL.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom