• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

DGT Pickup Height

Wagster

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not really a humbucker guy and I'm trying to find the sweet spot with the pickup height on my DGT. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Cousin

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know if this is helpful or even the right answer, but I wound up lowering the pickups considerably on my 335.
I was getting a harsh, barky sound from the bridge and an overly tubby sound from the neck position, backing them down seemed to solve some of the disparity in tone between the two.

I know a lot of great humbucker players have their pickups quite close to the strings, doesn't seem to work for me, but I also grew up with fenders and single coils and I may be missing something.

Last edited:

WorstBandNameEver

Silver Supporting Member
I don't know if this is helpful or even the right answer, but I wound up lowering the pickups considerably on my 335.
I was getting a harsh, barky sound from the bridge and an overly tubby sound from the neck position, backing them down seemed to solve some of the disparity in tone between the two.

I know a lot of great humbucker players have their pickups quite close to the strings, doesn't seem to work for me, but I also grew up with fenders and single coils and I may be missing something.
I found I liked the lower the better on my DGT. I was about even with the pickup rings. This seemed to work well with both the full hum and split sound for me. Those pickups still have the overwound feel even at that level but dials back any harshness to me.

David Garner

Platinum Supporting Member
I never touched the pickup adjustment screws on my DGT. They were set perfectly from the factory.

In general, with Les Pauls, I go about 6/64 on the bridge pickup and between 6/64 and 8/64 on the neck.

Fireball XL5

Silver Supporting Member
I'm not really a humbucker guy and I'm trying to find the sweet spot with the pickup height on my DGT. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
With the strings depressed at the last fret, I set them so that the distance measured between the top of the outer poles and the bottom of the two outer E strings measure 2/32". I do that for both the neck & bridge pickups. If the neck pickup is louder I'll lower it slightly until it balances volume-wise with the bridge. That's Gibson's recommended heights, and I find this to work well on most all vintage style HB pickups.

haslar

I found I liked the lower the better on my DGT. I was about even with the pickup rings. This seemed to work well with both the full hum and split sound for me. Those pickups still have the overwound feel even at that level but dials back any harshness to me.
Mine is pretty much set up like that as well.

ProfRhino

I can see scenarios where this might make sense, e.g. stacks-in-a-box, high(er) gain amps, or BF.
personally, I use other guitars for these. :dunno
ime, the DGT is perfect for basic vintage style amps played loud, EL34, EL84 mostly.
coincidentally, that's David's preference too.
and then, I rarely run volumes and tone wide open, that's another tone factor.
ymmv absolutely,
Rhino

Jedi

Yep...mine are pretty much even with the mounting rings. BTW be cautious lowering them too much because the mounting screw came out of the threaded pickup hole on mine and it was a pain-in-the-ass trying to re-install the screw back into the threaded hole with the huge-ass spring that PRS uses. I finally had to just cut the spring in half to get it back on. YMMV

a gap of 2 mm at treble side and 2.4 mm on bass side (with strings pressed down at last fret) seems to be the sweet spot (as per PRS factory spec)

Trending Topics