DGT vs. McCarty

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SKYHIGH, Feb 7, 2012.

1. SKYHIGH

SKYHIGH Member

Especially to McCarty Tremolo.

I know that pups and fret wires are different. What else? preference? McCarty trem seems to be $200-$400 cheaper. Is DGT worth extra over McCarty Trem?

Thanks!

2. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

The DGT is a Tone Monster. They took a good idea (McCarty), and made it better!

3. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

No comparison IMO (for my personal taste) --- DGT all the way.

4. thornie

thornie Supporting Member

Although specs wise they seem nearly identical, they feel completely different. The giant frets, neck shape, and custom pickups CANNOT be understated. It's a massive difference.

5. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

The pickups alone are worth the $400 price difference. Have you checked on what people who are willing to sell DGT pickups are asking? The only way to get DGT pickups is to buy a DGT (or pay $500~$600 for a pre-owned set). The McCarty is an OK sounding guitar, but not even close to the vibe of a DGT. If you want a pretty wall-hanger, get a McCarty. If you want a players guitar, get a DGT. Put it this way, Mr. Grissom could have left his original McTrem alone, if he thought it was "good enough". But instead, he spent 2 years developing a better guitar. And trust me, he did.

6. grapeshot

grapeshot Supporting Member

That's not entirely accurate. You can get DGT pickups installed in your PRS guitar from the PRS Tech Center for a bit over $400 (I forget the exact amount). Great pickups.

7. KJR321

KJR321 Member

I have a McCarty (non-trem) and a DGT. Neck on McCarty is wide fat, DGT neck is different, not as wide. I've had the McCarty longer and was used to the neck...like it a lot. I've had a little more difficulty getting used to the the DGT neck....but that's me. You can find the specs on each on PRS site.

Both are great sounding. I would never call the McCarty just "OK" sounding. I can make both sound great through my amp setup (Mesa boogie mark V and axe-fx II). I probably would have bought a McCarty tremelo if I found a great one available....just didn't come across one since you don't see them as often. Instead I bought a great DGT.

8. M40A1

M40A1 Member

Any thoughts, tonally, with regards to the DGT with the McCarty trem vs. the WW Private Stock DGT version with the wraparound bridge?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. blues junkie

blues junkie Supporting Member

The DGT has a volume knob for each pickup, that alone is worth the price of admission. I was thinking if I ever bought another guitar... what would it be? I think it would have to be another DGT, I LOVE the dual volume knobs. The DGT is just the best of everything combined into one guitar.

10. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

those WW DGT stops are the coolest guitars EVER!