DI box and EQ for a K&K preamp

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by JamminJoe, Oct 13, 2008.

1. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

Hi all. I was looking for a preamp for my Gibson gospel which has the K&K pure mini pickup installed. I have gotten great results just using a whirlwind DI box and the EQ on the PA. However, I'd like to get an EQ in a pedal so that I have some control onstage. I would still use the DI box in conjunction with the eq pedal.

I was looking at the MXR graphic eq pedal (M-108) which has 10 eq bands. I think I prefer a multi-band eq rather than an all in one DI box like the LR Baggs and Sansamp ParaDI's. Parametric eq's don't seem very intuitive to me, and a 10-band eq seems easier to tweak on the fly. So I would go from:

guitar -> whirlwind DI -> MXR EQ -> PA

Has anyone tried a setup like this? Am I overcomplicating my setup? I've tried the LR Baggs para before and thought the tone was very cold, but that was not with the KK pure mini.

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I still believe that the LR Baggas Paracoustic DI is the best sounding combination box out there for the money. There are modeling-based boxes out there by DTAR and Fishman, but I'm not sold on those yet. The Taylor K4 is killer, but only because it is very transparent so it doens't make every guitar sound good, but let's good sounding guitars sound their best.

And looking at your signal chain, you want the DI to be the last thing since you want to send a post eq, XLR signal to the PA. If you're serious about adding a graphic eq, I'd still start with the LR Baggs or the K4 since they have effects loops.

3. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

Thanks for the reply. I'll look for the Baggs ParaDI first and look to add the graphic EQ later if I need more tweakability.

4. DSmith

DSmith Member

I would bet K&K would suggest one of their preamps, probably this one that's an EQ and DI too:

http://www.kksound.com/purexlrpreamp.html

I'd stick with the K&K product line.

I know a lot of people using the LR Baggs Parametric DI, mainly with guitars that LR Baggs pickups were added to. They are a swiss army knife of EQ with a very high input impedance for passive pickups like yours. If you go down that road, always plug the guitar into the DI and use the FX loop for pedals. You need the high impedance, and a pedal won't give you that.

5. sfletch

sfletch Member

I used a K&K pure western mini in a Martin 00028 for years, and all I ever used was their smallest preamp, can't remember which model, but it was small enough to fit on your belt. It had volume, bass and treble knobs and was battery powered. It worked great and with the pickup produced a great amplified acoustic tone.

oh, here it is:

http://www.kksound.com/purepreamp.html

has midrange too. Worked great for me, highly recommended. The Baggs para DI is good as well.

If you want to get surgical with your EQ and have a 2nd channel for a 2nd source, effects loop, etc. the Rane AP13 is hard to beat.

6. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

I have used the LR Baggs Para DI for sometime now and have nothing but praises for it!
    Also recently purchased the K&K Ultra Pure Guitar System, I have not installed it yet and it sounds like it will be very promising...

7. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I use one of these and it's stellar with the PWM. Tough, silent, has its own power supply adn excellent headroom. Good money spent too - works well for tweaking a keyboard, electric guitar etc. AND, has an XLR (and 1/4") out so you don't need a DI with it.

[​IMG]

8. DSmith

DSmith Member

The Carl Martin box is probably good with the K&K products. It has a 1 Mega Ohm input impedance, which is lower than most passive acoustic pickup manufactures suggest (Fishman and LR Baggs have a 10 Mega Ohm input impedance for passive pickups on their preamp products). But, for some reason, all K&K preamps also have a 1 Mega Ohm input impedance if you look at their specs, and they know what's best for their pickups. I've heard the K&K system work with their preamp/DI, and I think you should stick with one of their preamps/DI to get the most out of their pickups.

9. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

I spoke with Dieter at K&K and reviewed the specs of this unit - he thought it was a perfect fit. Point I was getting at is that since this is not a dedicated acoustic piece, I get a lot more use out of it. Outstanding bang for the buck.