Diabetic cat advice/suggestions needed

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by micycle, Feb 24, 2015.

1. micycle

micycle Member

We have a really sweet [FONT=&quot]7 year old cat who is diabetic and long story short we can’t afford to take care of her (my wife and I can barely afford to take care of ourselves!) It’s heartbreaking because she’s such a sweet cat but the most we can do for her is feed her Fancy Feast Classic which we’ve been doing since she was diagnosed for almost 2 years now. I did some research and that particular food is “best” (for severe lack of better word) for people in our financial situation.. and as far as cat food goes that’s not even cheap. Plus we have another cat and have to feed them separately because the grass is always greener - she wants his food and he wants hers.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]The food seems to make a huge difference overall but she’s still overweight and goes through spells every 5-6 months where you can tell she’s really not feeling good; I get that “Uh oh, is she on her way out?” feeling and then she snaps out of it. She’s currently in one of said spells now and I can’t stand not being able to give her the treatment she needs anymore. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We’ve tried Craigslist and other giveaway routes but of course no one wants to take on a 7 year old diabetic cat (that's sort of a no brainer but we figured it was worth a try). We live in Brooklyn where the shelters are as overpopulated as the city itself is with people. My wife looked into putting her down and I can’t remember the logistics but it didn’t seem like it was an option. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Any ideas of what to do or where to go? I’m all eyes/ears at this point. This stinks! [/FONT]

2. hogy

hogy Member

I really don't want to rub it in, but it's your fault your cat is overweight.

That's where you need to start. She can't eat anything you don't feed her. From there I'd look into diets closer to what a cat is actually designed to eat. Nothing with any grains, sugars, etc. Actual meat may be an option. If you shop smart, it can be surprisingly cheap. By in bulk, talk to butcher shops about getting scraps, etc.

You can make your own cat food, there are supplements (powders) to mix in with the meat to ensure sufficient supply of micro nutrients. Once you get this figured out (it is a bit of work), do large batches to freeze and you can beat the price of Fancy Feast and make healthier food for your cat. At that point, feed both your cats the same.

Google "making cat food". Here's a good place to start:

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  3. JMC

JMC Member

We have a diabetic cat, not over weight, and not sure why she developed diabetes.

We feed her a mix of DM (prescription food) and Pro Plan high protein formula.

We also discovered we could switch her to human insulin, which saved us a ton of money. It's about $25 a bottle, and lasts a month. She gets shots 8am and 8pm daily.

She's been fine like this for years now.

4. micycle

micycle Member

I guess I used the wrong words - she's a really thick cat to begin with, just has a slight pear shape. The crazy thing is we're feeding her 3 cans a day (which isn't much) and exercising her but she hasn't really gotten any smaller. Just a little more peppy/

Thanks for the tips everyone - will check into the homemade food route. We looked into that a bit ago but didn't think about calling the vet. The one we've been going to has dollar signs in their eyes so I'll probably have to call around..

5. hogy

hogy Member

That's easily twice what I feed each of my cats (I have five of them).

Cats aren't supposed to be "pear shaped".

6. claudel

claudel Member

I feed my two cats 3 small cans of FF/day for the both of them...

Slight detour, but I just found out it's cheaper to buy Fancy Feast from Amazon ( I have Prime already) and have it
    delivered than it is to plow through the snowbanks and venture forth to Pet Labyrinth or Wally World in person...

7. Roark

Roark Member

Protein oriented hard food, the low carb wet cat food like DM is a bit expensive but that is what she needs.

One thing if you go with the homemade route, cats need taurine so you shouldn't go completely away from the commercial catfood.

We also had a cat with diabetes, we were able to give human insulin too, but be careful, a cat only needs about 1/20 of a human dose. This means you have take her blood glucose level to see how much to give her. It's a scary thing because too much medicine will kill your cat.

8. Tonekat

Tonekat Supporting Member

Everyone is probably tired of hearing me say this, but I had a diabetic cat that I managed to cure via diet...avoiding grains as much as possible. I had been giving him injections for a couple of weeks, but due to the re-balance of his system through diet, I gave him an accidental overdose.

We knew what was going on when that happened (thanks to a quick search on the net) and rubbed some wet cat food on his gums (corn syrup works too) to get him out of the danger zone and off to the vets.

Best wishes for your kitty.

9. claudel

claudel Member

I definitely won't feed my cats food containing any grain...

Even healthy cats shouldn't be fed stuff with grain in it.

Grain is for the food to eat...

Hell, I rarely feed grain to myself anymore and I beat my diabetes ( 5 quarters in a row A1C < 6.5 ) with diet ( no meds )...

One has to read the labels.

There are varieties of Fancy Feast that are low-carb & gluten free.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/glutenfree.htm

10. JMC

JMC Member

We don't do the wet DM, but do mix the dry DM with high protein ProPlan.

Our kitty really stresses out when/if we take her to the vet. To the point where they told us they couldn't get an accurate blood sugar reading.

We really no longer take her in. We give her shots at home, where she'll know virtually come and find you when it's time for her shot.

She also gets some sort of shot for urinary infection every few months. We don't even take her in for those any more. The vet just gives us the syringe to take home.

11. Roark

Roark Member

What a good kitty.

Ours was 18 years old and a scaredy cat too. She eventually had issues with her urinary tract which got too bad and we had to make the decision to euthanize.

Boy I hated that.