1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Diabolical Gristle Tone Manipulator???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by zodiactone, Jan 16, 2008.

1. zodiactone

zodiactone Supporting Member

Has anyone ever heard or played one of these pedals?

I searched for clips but found nothing. All I know is that it is and overdrive that was designed for Greg Koch. Does anyone have anything that can add to this?

2. Mike R.

Mike R. Member

I owned one.

I found it easy to dial in a very "Marshally" tone. I liked it very much and wish I did not sell it.

3. Phil M

Phil M Member

I had one of these (DGTM) in addition to a couple of Gristle Kings, which is a single pedal that houses the DGTM overdrive and a clean boost.

It's an outstanding overdrive pedal with a lot of possibilities. It has enough gain that you could almost call it a distortion pedal. Almost. It works great with a variety of amps.

If you see one for a good deal, pick it up. They used to only be about $139 new and you could find them for $80-$100 used, but I have read that Tim Jauernig is getting out of the pedal business to focus on amps or something like that. He may have already stopped making pedals. I wished I'd known that when I sold mine, because I would've kept it.

4. Franklin

Franklin Member

I have one. It is a tube screamer, but you can choose the clipping type! it has the asymmetrical (boss sd1), symmetirical (TS) and LED diode (RAT) clipping. I used on my jam board. The LED clipping option is a super way to make a clean amp sound broken up, very little compression and coloration with the LED clipping too!

I don't remember if it is voiced to have the same type of mid hump as a regular TS or not, I think it does.

5. rewog

rewog Member

Yep, a really nice Tubescreamer based pedal.
    You'll have better luck with a search for DGTM.

6. KazJY

KazJY Member

Greg Koch's website says that he'll be back - let's all hope so. I hear that Tim Jauernig is working for Peavey - not sure though.

7. Phil M

Phil M Member

I just checked and TC Jauernig's sites still seem to be up and running, so now I wonder if he's still making pedals or what...

8. mrmega

mrmega Member

I have a DGTM, a Double DGTM, a Gristle King and a whole batch of custom pedals Tim made for me.

Unbelievably great stuff. All I can say is get one if you can still find them. I see them every once in a while on Ebay and sometimes in the emporium.

Very musical, great tones. I cannot say enough good things about Tim Jauernig's pedals. I own more gear than I care to admit and his pedals are permanent parts of my life. I would have gladly paid much more than I did for all of the things I bought from him.

2 Facts:

1) He does in fact work for Peavey in the custom amp shop now.

2) Because of his agreement with Peavey he is not and has not been taking new orders since last year. The orders placed before he went with Peavey were permitted to be fulfilled.

In my experience I would not call the DGTM a tubescreamer but that is just my opinion. I never look down on people who disagree with my opinions when it comes to gear, because lets face it....... Tone is subjective and we all hear things differently.

From my point of reference calling a DGTM a Tubescreamer is kind of like calling a multi million dollar pro racing motorcycle a stock street bike.

I talk to him fairly frequently. He is one of the nicest guys, and his craftsmanship is outstanding. Peavey is lucky to have him IMO. A few years ago my wife bought me a DGTM off Ebay as a gift. As soon as I played through it I freaked out and contacted Tim directly and we started a relationship that continues to this day. That is how big an impression the DGTM made on me. In my world it was a missing link in a 2 decade long search. Meeting Tim and the products that resulted from my getting to know and do business with him, I was able to find some things I had looked for my whole musical life.

9. ungarn

ungarn Member

Damn nice...score one if you can...

10. EataPeach

EataPeach Member

Simply one of the best pedals I've ever tried...I regretfully sold on a silly impulse to satisfy a GAS pain...It is the only pedal,of very many that I've had,that I regret selling .

I think comparing it to a TS is an overused analogy...It does that and much more.

Get one if you can. Any sound clips you hear wont do it justice anyway...

Good luck

11. ungarn

ungarn Member

I'll never part with my Gristle King...but dang my new CMATMODS Signa Drive can cover alot of the same ground about as well (except for the boost of course!).

12. andi

andi Member

I've been using a Gristle King pedal now for around 8 months and it's the best Overdrive pedal i've ever played.
    Since i got it i've sold my Fulldrive, SD9, Keeleys etc.

Fantastic pedal!!:AOK

13. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

...i'm another fan of the the DGTM....and the Gristle King and the Luxury Drive and the Atomic Fet-Boy...best value in pedals i've found but they would be some of the best at any price....

14. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I just got a DGTM off of eBay, and plugged her in last night for the first time.
    WOW! :eek:
    Absolutely outstanding overdrives with my Heritage Patriot 212 combo, and my PRS Custom 22. Fat tones abound, with no mud. The upper mids are very clear through this thing.
    Not sure what the toggle switch is...I'm guessing it adds more top end and maybe a small amount of gain.

A keeper, for sure. If anyone out there has a Gristle King for sale, I'm your huckleberry.

:cool:

S.
    j

15. ocripes

ocripes Supporting Member

Waiting for one that I got on ebay to be delivered:drool

16. mrmega

mrmega Member

And?????

Whats the verdict bro?

17. ocripes

ocripes Supporting Member

I got it and it is THE BEST!!!!! The other guys in the band freaked

Sounds great w/my strat plus w/gold lace sensors. Both clipping options rule. I wish I had two; might have to get me another.

I use a Small Fry and a Rat, too.

18. WILLIEKENDRICK

WILLIEKENDRICK Supporting Member

I don't think a TS comparison is completely fair. On the right toggle, it's much more harmonic and open sounding--really spectacular with the right amp. None of the midrange congestion that most TS pedals have. The left toggle is more compressed and does have the TS vibe to a degree, but I don't use that setting nearly as much.
    HUGE bang for the old crappy dollar bill!!! :)

19. G&L Player

G&L Player Member

I have a DGTM, like it but don't use it very often (the Wampler Pinnacle replaced it on my board). Might be tempted to part with it.