Diagnosing a Dead Alchemist (EPILOGUE)

Holzar1988

Gold Supporting Member
So I went down to the man cave a bit ago to play my Bogner Alchemist 212 combo, and ... it's dead. The amp footswitch light comes on when I power it up, but none of the lights (channel, boost, etc.) on the amp itself. No noise, no signal, no static, nothing. Nada. As if it's not even on. I wouldn't think a dead tube would produce that response, would it?

I've never had any problems in the three or four years I've owned it. Any thoughts, oh great Gear Page amp collective?

The bad news is that I'll have to haul this 85 lb. beast out of the basement.

The good news is that it makes selling my wife on the idea of a new amp a lot easier.

gixxerrock

With a tube amp, its almost always a bad or dead tube. Sometimes, they fail in such a way as to blow a fuse. I would check the fuses, if one's blown replace it and the power tubes. If not, I would try and find a good tech to repair it.

Holzar1988

Gold Supporting Member
With a tube amp, its almost always a bad or dead tube. Sometimes, they fail in such a way as to blow a fuse. I would check the fuses, if one's blown replace it and the power tubes. If not, I would try and find a good tech to repair it.
Thanks for the feedback.

Leonc

Wild Gear Hearder
Platinum Supporting Member
But when it's an alchemist we're talking about, I don't think you can rule out lead poisoning.

tenchijin2

Hey, the time to diagnose the poor alchemist is before he dies. Once he's kicked the bucket, it's no use.

Oh! Hey!

Thanks, I'll be here all week. Enjoy the buffet!

Holzar1988

Gold Supporting Member
Update: So I took it to a local music shop (Lucci Music), and their amp guy there wasn't able to diagnose the problem. He said it wasn't tubes, and it was the fuses. He said he unpacked the head to check fuses inside, too, and ultimately said that there is likely some kind of problem with the preamp, but he wasn't sure.

There are a couple of other guys locally I might yet try, Rosstronics here in the Springs and Lord Valve's LBS Electronics up in Denver. If I'm able to get it fixed, I'll post an update.

Thanks again for your feedback.

P.S.: BTW, Lucci did a fantastic job setting up my Kramer F-3000 with a Floyd. Great service and they know what they're doing, just had a problem with the amp that wasn't easily diagnosable.

jpage

Update: So I took it to a local music shop (Lucci Music), and their amp guy there wasn't able to diagnose the problem. He said it wasn't tubes, and it was the fuses. He said he unpacked the head to check fuses inside, too, and ultimately said that there is likely some kind of problem with the preamp, but he wasn't sure.

There are a couple of other guys locally I might yet try, Rosstronics here in the Springs and Lord Valve's LBS Electronics up in Denver. If I'm able to get it fixed, I'll post an update.

P.S.: BTW, Lucci did a fantastic job setting up my Kramer F-3000 with a Floyd. Great service and they know what they're doing, just had a problem with the amp that wasn't easily diagnosable.
I know Lord Valve and his head will explode if you bring him a Line 6 amp lol...

damn, i hope you didnt pay for that diagnosis. those dudes can always contact the manufacturer for guidance, etc. to just give it back and say im not sure. thats pretty shockingly inept.

FFTT

Gee I thought Bogner stuff was supposed to be bullet proof mil spec PCB damn near NASA compliant.

Guess not.

Gee I thought Bogner stuff was supposed to be bullet proof mil spec PCB damn near NASA compliant.

Guess not.
the alchemist is their import affordable option. mixed reviews.

the oversized 2x12 cab had a greenback and a v30 and at one point was selling for less than the combined cost of those 2 speakers...

DeaconBlues

damn, i hope you didnt pay for that diagnosis. those dudes can always contact the manufacturer for guidance, etc. to just give it back and say im not sure. thats pretty shockingly inept.
Line 6 no longer supports this amp. Good luck getting any info period. You are on your own to diagnose this POS. It's not really a Bogner product. It's a Line 6 with Bogner badges on the cabinet. When you open the amp up it has Line 6 printed right there on the circuit board.

Trending Topics