Dial in Modeler with Studio Monitors?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by S.A.M., Dec 18, 2009.

1. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

Any one do this? Does it translate well to live PAs, or is much tweaking needed?

2. deathbyska76

deathbyska76 Member

I have not yet, although, it may be good to do that, and A/B back and forth between my monitors and my amp. I'll try to do that today and let you know what my thoughts are!

3. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

I'm discussing a similar issue in another thread, but your tones will probably sound slightly different in different PA's themselves, so, there will probably be some difference between your studio monitors and the different PA's you encounter.

I'm not sure that is avoidable.

4. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

Oh, I realize that. Right now I've been using my bands crappy PA monitors (Peaveys). I'm just wondering if I pick up some powered studio monitors to create patches, will my patches sound close to what they will through most PAs (clubs). I know playing music through the bands PA doesn't sound very good, so I don't think my patches are coming through the bars PA close to what I've heard (I've only used my RP500 at one gig, and brought the bands PA to monitor myself, as the bars monitors aren't that good).

5. Baba

Baba Supporting Member

6. S.A.M.

S.A.M. Member

I've been reading that thread. You'd figure dialing in your tones with Studio Monitors would work rather well as they are supposed to be flat. I'd just like to hear some first hand experiences.

7. Count_Chocolat

Count_Chocolat Member

S.A.M. Hows life in the Lakehead, used to spend lots of time there...Lots of mills shut down in the past few years! Tough times.

This is interesting, when I first got my axe-FX, I was blown away using my studio monitors (Tannoy PBM 6.5), I tweaked everything to my liking.

Our PA sounds very good and clean. Before going direct live, I tried the Axe through our PA with the band, I was way way to bright...so I basically fine tuned my set-up based on the "what the audience would hear". The speakers, room and volume also has big impact.

Many engineers will often use different speakers do make a mix, just to get a different perspective. So I would expect the same...

I really like my tone right now because I've had a chance to fine tune with different set-ups. So, my advice to you would be to get it as close as possible using the studio monitors but expect that you may have to dial it in later as you use a different system(s).

This is also the very reason that most modelers have a global EQ.