Diamond Boost EQ...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BillyK, Mar 16, 2008.

1. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Absolutely no recent buzz on this pedal. Anyone own one and want to share their experience?

The Diamond website says it's a "discrete boost", but doesn't that mean no active components, and isn't an opamp an active component?

Confused but interested in what Diamond has got going on here.

2. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

I think it's the EQ from their compressor, but being attached to a straight boost instead of a compressor. Very cool move. The tilt EQ on the Diamond comp is so good that it deserves to be alone on a pedal for people who don't want an optical compressor.

3. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks LowWatt!

Anyone own one??

4. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

There's no one out there who has actually tried it or can answer his more technical questions?

5. The Tone Snob

The Tone Snob Member

I didn't even think these were available yet? :confused:

6. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

Good call...that could be the case.

7. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Geez....

I thought some players were buying these back in January, but I don't see it for sale anywhere.

Oh well.

8. The Tone Snob

The Tone Snob Member

So how exactly does this "tilt eq" work? How does it differ from other eqs? :confused:

9. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

It's an EQ style that used to be used in a lot of hifi and studio equipment a few decades back.

Regular passive EQs typically just roll off some of the top end.
    A typical active EQ might boost/cut a specific frequency band

For the tilt EQ, picture a seesaw from the side with the big bar sitting perfectly level. That is a flat EQ (the Diamond has a notch in the knob to let you know when you are at center). If you turn it right to boost the treble, the right side of the seesaw (your EQ) is going up while the bass is going down proportionately. The EQ curve always stays in a straight line and the mids can never get too high or lowl. (note : I am oversimplifying this, to see what the EQ curves look like, go here http://www.diamondpedals.com/products/compressor.html and scroll down)

Because of this, the compressor can go from 60s Beatles/Byrds style jangle when the treble is cranked to smoky jazz when the tone is pulled back a little, but it always sounds natural and balanced. The mids keep enough of your signal in that your guitar always keeps it's inherrent tone.

It's a VERY simple concept that can be hard to explain and it doesn't seem like it would be much different from a regular EQ until you try it. It's the rare tone control that always feels right no matter where I put it. Since that you are always adding as much as you are taking away, it doesn't screw with your levels either if you change it.

charlieparks likes this.
  10. knockonwood

knockonwood Member

I've got #0009. Haven't gigged with it yet, only tried it out at home so far. Same excellent build quality as their other products. Wide range of tones - lovely clean boost with the e.q. bypassed. Most clean boost pedals I've tried seem to impart an edginess that I dont care for - this one doesnt. With the e.q. in, you can "tilt" the main e.q. of the pedal, then tailor the mids around this point. VERY useful for me as I use a TA Cobra and Classic, and am able to tailor the sound to bring out the best in each guitar, at least in the basement so far. Will be using the pedal live this weekend, so I'll post my experiences with it. I use the compressor and the first issue Diamond drive as well. Can't say enough about these pedals!

Peter

[​IMG]

11. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah Supporting Member

After looking on their website, I think they are referring to the amount of boost available when they use the word "discrete" since its only 16 dB. (still plenty IMO)

Their gut shots show a Burr Brown opamp inside, so I'm pretty sure they aren't trying to market a build with "only discrete components"

FYI, There is nothing to be gained by only using discrete components in a build. With the availability of specialized high quality audio opamps, saying a pedal is better because it has an "all discrete circuit" is more marketing than anything.

Diamond pedals definately don't get enough attention around here.

-Nick

12. The Tone Snob

The Tone Snob Member

Where did you purchase it, and how much? :confused:

13. knockonwood

knockonwood Member

Got it from a member here. Paid new price, but you know how it is when you "must have it." :drool This one might as well be new. To me it was worth it as they seemed hard to come by, but also I think Mike and the boys have something special going on with Diamond Pedals. Great products and excellent to deal with.

At the time I enquired sometime in December, no stores seemed to have them yet. I kind of forgot about it, then saw one here on TGP. Snapped it up. Yee haw!

Peter

14. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Great thread. Thanks guys. Might need to look into one of these.

15. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

If either their compressors or boosts alone are indications I'd expect perfection. They really have outdone so many other produce to me, that I cat imagine this falling short.

16. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

The reason I was interested in the "discreet" aspects of this pedal, is that I've found opamp/diode-based pedals like the Xotic RC for instance to be limited in dynamic range, and other booster circuits based on JFET's for instance (like the Katana, or Fat Boost 2) to be more dynamic and natural, offering huge headroom.

17. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Be sure to report back Peter!

18. awallace

awallace Member

Hi all, Aimish Wallace from Diamond here. Hope it's okay to chime in on this. With regards to the use of the term discrete in reference to the Boost-EQ: the boost section of the Boost-EQ is composed of discrete components (a higher headroom variation of the boost circuit found in the J-Drive Mk3 actually), the Burr Brown opamp you see in the pedal is part of the EQ circuit which can be bypassed with the mini toggle.

The Boost-EQ first started shipping in December. Dealers seem to have been selling out pretty quickly and we're playing catch up on a lot of orders.

Best regards,

Aimish Wallace

19. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Thanks Aimish!

20. awallace

awallace Member

You're welcome. I accidentally posted that last one with my old "pre Diamond employee" username. I'll try to remember to use this one from now on when posting.

Regards,

Aimish