Diamond Comp #272 OMG........

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 52ftbuddha, Jul 19, 2006.

1. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

Well after many other compressors and a bit of a wait I now have a diamond compressor. #272 in fact, that gives an indication of how few there are of these in the wild. I have only had it a day so I will give a brief review. OMG did I say OMG. I have tried all others with the exception of the Bicomp which I put myself on the list for Dec of last year. I will probably keep that one as well for the juicer and the standard ross clone. I must sing the praises of the diamond. I have now used it in boost as an eq and with varying levels of compression. In all cases it flatters both my Les Paul and my Tele. The eq allows me to mimic a bit of Ric chime out of my Les Paul and my Maz 38. My favorite so far is flat eq with a little boost and the slightest of comp. I think like many I will have this on all the time. I guess I need to budget for a power pedal. It is far less damaging to my tone than any other compressor I tried, Barber, Keeley, Mentone, Mxr et al. 2 left at Analog Heaven in Pomona.
    Rob

2. Passenger84

Passenger84 Supporting Member

That's cool to hear. Thus far, it's difficult to find any complaints about Diamond. Even those who dislike the sound of their pedals, usually say that they are well-made, and would probably sound good to another pair of ears.

I used to own an Emma compressor which worked quite well with my strat, but no so well with humbuckers. Maybe I should try out a Diamond. :roll

3. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

#137 owner here! After 200, they modded the pot so that you get more squish at higher compression settings while the same transparency at lower settings. I still want to try one of those out, but I'm lovin mine :RoCkIn

4. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

I will say that it squashes more than I expected at the higher settings. It has an amazing range of compression available. I can snap the c#$@ out of my tele and make some of the coolest chicken sounds imaginable. Pedal sized joy.
    Rob

5. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

hmmm,

mayhap I'll send it in for that mod. I find the higher settings on mine to be all but useless. I keep mine at 9:00

I have a Marshall ED-1 sitting around which is pretty cool and I can use it for a backup. That thing will squish like a fat mans ass.

Thanks!

6. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

How does the diamond compare to the Fulltone Comp setting on the FD II?

7. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I have 153, and nothing has ever made me happier. I love the Diamond. I do have the keeley on my board also, though I still like the tone to the keeley for lead lines..The Keeley helps get the notes out front. But the Diamond is great for a good rythm sound..

8. threm

threm Member

S/N `CS-CPRI-0001` here.

Maybe I should do the upgrade

Moe, you wrote
    "I find the higher settings on mine to be all but useless."

Why is it useless to you above 9 O`clock?

Just curious.

9. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

To me, high comp settings are an effect. This means squishy gooeyness, in varying levels. The older Diamonds do NOT squish, they just saturate and kill dynamics (like all comps do at high settings. I should add your tone is still lushly preserved). For cleaning up my playing, the Diamond at low settings is perfect. Higher settings is overkill at best, counterproductive at worst.

This is, of course, my opinion. I find it akin to distortion/OD pedals, where I turn up the gain knob to where it's distorting at its most, and any place after that is just oversaturated. I find this on most pedals to be at about 11-2:00

For example: on a stock MT-2, I find 10-11:00 is the most sonic dirt you get, and after that it just adds extraneous useless noise.

Getting back to the Diamond, there are parallels to setting up the perfect amount of compression, IMO. Others may find higher settings work for them, but for cleaning up my technique, anything above 9:00 just subtracts.

10. threm

threm Member

Thanks, Moe. I get it. ;)

I bought the Diamond for the subtle kind of compression/levelling.
    For the squishy sounds an old TC Sustain+ does the job as well as a Carl Martin. Still have about ten comp pedals gathered while hunting for the right one; McSqueeze, Juicer, Comprossor, HBE .....

Gotta try the BJF comp one day