1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Diamond Compressor at Higher Voltages

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hugo Da Rosa, May 20, 2011.

1. Hugo Da Rosa

Hugo Da Rosa Silver Supporting Member

It was just brought to my attention not long ago that the Diamond Comp is capable of voltages up to 24v. So I decided to try it out at higher voltages and went up to 16v. To be honest, I couldn't hear much of a difference. I noticed that the compression level is less, as presumed since higher voltages have a tendency to give more headroom. Aside from that, the only other difference I could find was maybe a slight reduction in noise.

Has anyone tried the Diamond comp at higher voltages and yielded different results? Anyone else feel that there was less of a noise problem at higher voltages? I'm trying to see what the point would be for the pedal to handle such high voltages...at least from my experience, I can't hear much of a discernible difference.

2. Hugo Da Rosa

3. neu18

neu18 Member

I know with the memory lane it internally regulates to a lower voltage anyways, I called them and they say it makes no difference.

4. awallace

awallace Member

While the Memory Lane has the voltage regulated internally, the Compressor doesn't. Running the Compressor at a higher voltage definitely increases the headroom- typically we'll recommend this if someone is using really high output pickups or wants to use a booster in front of the Compressor. The added headroom will avoid overdriving the Compressor circuit.

5. Hugo Da Rosa

Thanks Aimish for the clarification!

6. Last

Last Member

I've heard the same about the higher voltages though I've never tried it.

I recently pulled mine back on board & hadn't realized just how much I've been missing.

The EQ on it amazes me with how much you can dial your tone in. Hell it's like two pedals in one!

Awesome Pedal!

7. crxshdxmmy

crxshdxmmy Member

Man, I love that pedal. My (not so) secret weapon.